BA French and International Development
Develop your French and gain a thorough understanding of different cultures’ development needs on our BA French and International Development course.
In the Department of Languages and Culures you'll study in a lively, multilingual community with staff and students from all over the world. Learn in a student-centred environment, with small group teaching and a range of project and workshop opportunities. In the National Student Survey 2023, 98% of students in the Department of Languages and Cultures said our teaching staff were good or very good at explaining things.
Your modules in French will enable you to:
- develop your linguistic proficiency in French to a high level
- gain an in-depth understanding of French and francophone cultures
- immerse yourself in the language and culture of a French-speaking country during your year abroad
You’ll have plenty of scope to practise speaking, writing, reading and understanding French, and you’ll learn about the political, social, historical and cultural contexts of French-speaking countries.
Your learning will be supported by a range of materials in French, including cultural and historical texts.
Your international development modules will provide:
- an understanding of the complex global dynamics affecting the planet’s resources, climate, food systems, and human population
- the ability to critically evaluate key ideas in international development policy and practice
- the opportunity to explore core development theories and research methods.
Your learning will be enhanced by case studies from around the world, providing you with insight into our planet’s fascinating societies, cultures and histories.
You will be taught by leading academics from across the University. In addition to social scientists in the School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, you’ll study with experts from Geography, Economics, Politics and Henley Business School.
Placements and Study Abroad with BA French and International Development
Our BA French and International Development course includes a year abroad in a French-speaking country, either studying or doing a work placement. During this year, you’ll hone your language skills and immerse yourself in francophone culture. You will be supported by our Year Abroad team to make the most of this experience.
For more information, please visit the Department of Languages and Cultures website.