MSc by Research Animal Science
Enhance your understanding of safe and sustainable livestock production while building your confidence as an independent researcher with our MSc by Research in Animal Science master’s degree.
This flexible online programme will develop your ability to secure safe and sustainable livestock production systems that respect and enhance the welfare of livestock.
We encourage a new and innovative understanding of the challenges and opportunities that face the global livestock industry. Whether you’re working directly in the sector, in related supply industries – such as feed and pharmaceuticals, advisory or extension services – or in a research institution, this programme will offer you a new perspective.
Choose MSc by Research in Animal Science at the University of Reading
- join the highest-ranking UK university for Agriculture and Forestry (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020 - Agriculture & Forestry). We’re ranked 12th in the world, and are the only UK university in the top 50.
- acquire the skills, knowledge and understanding of key topics associated with animal nutrition, health, behaviour and sustainable livestock production as you plan, manage and conduct an extended independent research project.
- critically analyse of the challenges and opportunities facing livestock production, and receive rigorous training in research methods and statistical analyses commonly used in animal science. You’ll also gain critical appraisal skills to evaluate research at the interface between animal, microbial and food science.
Joining this programme means you’ll also be joining our School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, where we are committed to empowering change through our teaching and research. Our academics tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues across their respective fields of expertise, and our mission is to make a difference in the context of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Your learning environment
Taught elements of your degree are delivered online, enabling you to remain at your workplace during your studies.
The research element of your degree can be conducted either at your workplace or at Reading. You can choose to complete the course in 18 months, or take up to 63 months, depending on your work demands.
You will also have opportunities for research, networking, and personal development, as well as access to modern study resources and employability support. We also offer study skills support that’s tailored to our School’s master’s students.
The Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics
As an MSc by Research in Animal Science student, you’ll be a member of the School’s Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE).
GIIDAE attracts a diverse community of master’s students from more than 40 countries, and holds diversity, equality and high-quality teaching and learning as core values in its approach to education.
- GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. Visit our dedicated scholarships webpage for more information about scholarships, bursaries, and other sources of funding.
- Visit the GIIDAE website for more information about the modules you can take during your degree.
- Download a copy of the GIIDAE brochure, which tells you more about postgraduate study in our School.