BSc Medical Science with Foundation
Train to work at the forefront of modern medicine with our BSc Medical Science with Foundation course.
This four-year programme includes a foundation year that leads directly into the three-year course, providing an excellent route into a degree in medical science if you do not have the typical entry requirements.
Focus on the science that underpins medicine, and how medical science can lead to new ways of diagnosing and treating disease. This course covers topics such as biomedical laboratory research and frontline clinical care in order to improve patients’ lives.
- industry-specific training. Designed in partnership with our local NHS partners to respond to career needs within the NHS, our course offers you the most relevant, practical content.
- teaching from medical experts. You will be taught by academics whose research is aimed at understanding disease mechanisms, improving diagnoses, developing new therapies and advancing clinical practice. Everyone who teaches you has on-the-ground experience.
- practical experience. Options to complete multiple small placements in primary and secondary healthcare settings, or healthcare industry, are built into your degree timetable.
Graduate well prepared to work in the NHS or a variety of other healthcare settings.
Your learning structure
The aim of the foundation year is to prepare you for your medical science degree. As you progress, each stage builds on your prior learning.
- Foundation year: gain a thorough grounding in study at degree level. Core modules will develop key scientific and general skills to support your learning.
Following the foundation year, tailored pathway options allow you to specialise in topical, cutting edge areas of medical science:
- Diseases pathway: explore the genetic and physiological basis of major diseases and disorders and study how gene-environment interaction underpins disease. Example modules: Clinical Psychology, Bacteriology & Virology, infectious diseases.
- Medical Devices pathway: learn how modern technology is used to address previously insurmountable medical challenges. Example modules: Introduction to programming, Sensors and Transducers for Biomedical Engineering.
- Clinical and Medical Sciences pathway: investigate the complex causes of major diseases and global epidemics, and study the multidisciplinary approach to their containment, treatment and prevention. Example modules: Public Health and Nutrition, Medicines in Healthcare, Drug Targets.
Clinical placements with BSc Medical Science with Foundation
You can gain hands-on experience during multiple short placements in clinical settings, depending on your chosen pathway.
Our well-established network of clinical partners includes the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust, and others in the region.
These placements offer you excellent opportunities to gain practical experience, from the very first year of your degree.