- Introduction to Contemporary Democracy (PO1ICD)
- British Government and Politics (PO2BGP)
- Politics of Public Policy (PIM49)
Areas of interest
Democratization, state responses to internal threats, non-state armed groups, political moderation, British politics, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Kurds.
I received my PhD from the London School of Economics (LSE), which looked at the moderation of Sinn Fein and the IRA in Northern Ireland with a particular focus on British state responses.
My subsequent work has focused on other cases of internal conflict, notably the Turkish state’s response to Kurdish radicalism.
Prior to working at Reading, I also held posts at University of Birmingham, University of Kent and the LSE.
- PhD in Government, LSE
- PGCertHE, LSE
- MSc in Sociology, University College Dublin
- BA(Hons) in Sociology, Trinity College Dublin
Awards and honours
- British Academy. Facing Threats to Democracy Under Conditions of Emergency: Understanding Post-Failed Coup Turkey and its relations with Europe. 2018–2021
- British Institute at Ankara. How Emergency Rule Became an Everyday Tool of Government in Turkey. 2020–2021
- Whiting, M and S Bauchowitz (2020) The Myth of Power-Sharing and Polarisation: Evidence from Northern Ireland. Political Studies.
- Kaya, ZN and M Whiting (2019) The HDP, the AKP and the Battle for Turkish Democracy. Ethnopolitics 18(1): 92-106.
- Özerdem, A and M Whiting (2019) The Routledge Handbook of Turkish Politics. Routledge.
- Whiting M (2018) Sinn Féin and the IRA: From Revolution to Moderation. Edinburgh University Press.
- Whiting M (2018) Moderation without Change: The Strategic Transformation of Sinn Féin and the IRA in Northern Ireland. Government and Opposition 53(2): 288-311.
- Kaya ZN and Whiting M (2017) Sowing Division. Kurds in the Syrian War. Middle East Policy 24(1): 79-91.