Brandon Beomseob Park
- Module Convenor of Politics of the Welfare State (PO2PWS)
- Co-teaching Inequality (PO1INE)
Areas of interest
My research focuses on democratic accountability mechanism by looking at the role of the economy under globalisation and during foreign policy crises.
Specifically, I examine citizens’ capacity to constrain representatives for their policy performance home and abroad. My research is generally based on cross-sectional samples with regional specification in East Asia. For more details about my research, see my website brandonpark.net.
I am interested in supervising students on the topics of:
- political economy
- voting behaviour
- coercive diplomacy.
Research centres and groupsEconomics and Elections: Then, Now & the Future
I joined the University of Reading in 2020. Prior to that I was a visiting assistant professor at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) for two years.
I received my PhD in political science from the University of Missouri in the US, following a master’s degree in Global Politics from the London School of Economics and Political Science, and a masters’ degree in International Economics from the Berlin School of Economics and Law.
- PhD Comparative Politics, University of Missouri, USA, 2018
- MSc Global Politics, London School of Economics
- MA International Economics, Berlin School of Economics and Law
- BA International Studies & English, Handong University, South Korea
- Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 (2021) How does a relative economy affect voter turnout?. Political Behavior ISSN: 1573-6687 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11109-021-09736-4
- Goldring, E. , Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 , Williams, L. (2020) Should we talk about the weather? How party competition and coalition participation influence parties’ attention to economic issues. Party Politics , 26 (6). pp. 730-743. ISSN: 1460-3683 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1354068818806545
- Cho, Y. and Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 (2019) Electoral competitiveness and perceived election quality: unraveling the mediational role of district-level turnout in the 2016 Korean legislative election. Journal of Future Politics , 19 (2). pp. 31-60. ISSN: 2233-7148
- Heffington, C. , Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 , Williams, L. (2019) The “Most Important Problem” dataset (MIPD): a new dataset on American issue importance. Conflict Management and Peace Science , 36 (3). pp. 312-335. ISSN: 0738-8942 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0738894217691463
- Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 and Shin, J. (2019) Do the welfare benefits weaken the economic vote? A cross-national analysis of the welfare state and economic voting. International Political Science Review , 40 (1). pp. 108-125. ISSN: 0192-5121 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0192512117716169
- Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 , Frantzeskakis, N. , Shin, J. (2019) Who is responsible? The effect of clarity of responsibility on voter turnout. West European Politics , 42 (3). pp. 464-494. ISSN: 1743-9655 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01402382.2018.1479497
- Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 (2019) How do sanctions affect incumbent electoral performance?. Political Research Quarterly , 72 (3). pp. 744-759. ISSN: 1938-274X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1065912918804102
- Park, B. ORCID: 0000-0001-7656-3609 (2019) Compared to what? Media-guided reference points and relative economic voting. Electoral Studies , 62 ISSN: 0261-3794 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electstud.2019.102085