Dr Kathryn B. Francis
Areas of Interest
My interests lie in moral psychology and moral philosophy (particularly judgment-behaviour discrepancy in moral decision-making) as well as in the context- and stakes-sensitivity of knowledge ascriptions. I adopt empirical approaches to the investigation of both moral and epistemological phenomena. Recently, I have utilised virtual reality to investigate simulated moral actions in high emotionally-arousing moral dilemmas.
Affiliations (see personal webpage for more information):
Department of Philosophy, University of Reading
School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences, University of Reading
Research groups / Centres
- Terbeck, S., & Francis, K. B., (2018). We should if we could, but we cant. Experimental problems with moral enhancement. In: Hauskeller, M. Moral Enhancement. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Francis, K. B., Terbeck, S., Gummerum, M., Ganis, G., & Howard, I. S. (2017). Simulating moral actions: An investigation of personal force in virtual moral dilemmas. Scientific Reports, 7. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-13909-9.
- Francis, K. B., Gummerum, M., Ganis, G., Howard, I. S., & Terbeck, S. (2017). Virtual mortality in the helping professions: Simulated action and resilience. British Journal of Psychology. doi: 10.1111/bjop.12276.
- Francis, K. B*., Haines, A*., & Briazu, R. (2017). Thinkering through experiments: Considering the veracity and materiality of testing tools. [Special Issue]. AVANT, 8, 107-115. doi: 10.26913/80s02017.0111.0011.
Oztop, P*., Loesche, F*., Maranan, D. S*., Francis, K. B*., Tyagi, V., & Torre, I. (2017). (Not so) dangerous liaisons: A framework for evaluating collaborative research projects. [Special issue]. AVANT, 8, 167-179. doi: 10.26913/80s02017.0111.0016
- Francis, K. B., Howard, C., Howard, I., Gummerum, M., Ganis, G., & Terbeck, S. (2016). Virtual morality: Transitioning from moral judgment to moral action? Plos One. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0164374
Briazu, R.A*., Francis, K. B*., & Haines, A*. (2016). The affective embodiment of testing tools and their influence on experimental outcomes. Proceedings of Off The Lip 2015, p. 21-34. https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk//handle/10026.1/4271
- Francis, K. B. (2015, October). [Review of the book Making mind: Moral sense and consciousness in philosophy, science, and literature, by G. F. Tague]. Leonardo, 48, 493-494