- To develop arts and health research and teaching culture
- MPharm Placement Lead
- Lecture and workshops: Drug and Alcohol Problems, Communication Skills and New Medicines Service
Prospective PhD candidates are welcome to email Dr Dhital directly to discuss their research proposal.
Research centres and groups
University of Reading Committee memberships:
- Arts Strategy Group
- Centre for Health and Humanities
- Drug and Alcohol Action Partnership (DAAP)
- Staff Disability Network
- Leading an interdisciplinary arts-based research to understand how the physical and social spaces within community pharmacies are experienced by pharmacy service users and staff. This study will examine how the 'architecture of pharmacies' may affect engagement with current and future pharmacy health services and co-produce a community pharmacy design guide (Pharmacy Research UK Leverhulme Fellowship, £44,972, Principal Investigator, awarded Dec 2018).
- Leading a mixed-methods participatory action research to co-design alcohol interventions with local communities and stakeholders in Nepal to reduce alcohol harm.
- The findings from Dr Dhital's PhD were used to inform the five-year NIHR Programme Grant for Applied Research funded study (commenced Jan 2018), Community pharmacy: Highlighting Alcohol use in Medication Appointments (CHAMP-1). This research programme aims to co-produce an alcohol intervention, within medication appointments, with the pharmacy profession and patients, and evaluate in a definitive RCT (£2,055,620, Co-Investigator, awarded Jan 2018
Current research collaborators:
- Department of Health Sciences, University of York
- Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care, King's College London
- Addictions Department, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London
- Transcultural Psychosocial Organisation (TPO) Nepal
- Royal Society for Sculptors
Dr Dhital is a Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice. Previously Dr Dhital was a Post-doctoral Research Pharmacist at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London. Dr Dhital has practiced as a community pharmacist, Specialist Pharmacist for NHS drug and alcohol addiction services and in Public Health. Her research has focused on developing and utilising pharmacy staffs’ knowledge and skills to reduce alcohol harm. Dr Dhital is also applying Participatory Action Research and Experience-based Co-design to optimise health spaces (health architecture) and co-produce alcohol interventions in low-income countries.
- Committee Member of the Royal Society for Public Health - Arts, Health and Wellbeing Special Interest Group
- Britain Nepal Academic Council (BNAC)
- Architects for Health
- International Network on Brief Interventions for Alcohol and Other Drugs (INEBRIA)
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS)
- Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
- Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health (FRSPH)
- Stewart, D. , van Dongen, A. , Watson, M. , Mandefield, L. , Atkin, K. , Dhital, R. , Foster, B. , Gough, B. , Hewitt, C. , Madden, M. , Morris, S. , O’Carroll, R. , Ogden, M. , Parrott, S. , Watson, J. , White, S. , Whittlesea, C. , McCambridge, J. (2020) A pilot cluster randomised trial of the Medicines and Alcohol Consultation (MAC): an intervention to discuss alcohol use in community pharmacy medicine review services. BMC Health Services Research , 20 (2). pp. 1-11. ISSN: 1472-6963 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-05797-z
- Stewart, D. , Whittlesea, C. , Dhital, R. , Newbould, L. , McCambridge, J. (2020) Community pharmacist led medication reviews in the UK: a scoping review of the medicines use review and the new medicine service literatures. Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy , 16 (2). pp. 111-122. ISSN: 1551-7411 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2019.04.010
- Dalby, M. , Nabhani-Gebara, S. , Dhital, R. , Norman, I. (2019) Feasibility of a referral pathway to community pharmacy for patients taking oral anticancer medication. Cancer Nursing Practice , 18 (4). ISSN: 2047-8933 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/cnp.2019.e1613
- Dhital, R. , Robert, G. , Vasilikou, C. , Gheerawo, R. , Sin, J. (2018) Systematic review on the effects of the physical and social aspects of the community pharmacy environment on pharmacy patients' and staffs' engagement with pharmacy health services. PROSPERO , UK.
- Cochran, G. , Gordon, A. , Field, C. , Bacci, J. , Dhital, R. , Ylioja, T. , Stitzer, M. , Kelly, T. , Tarter, R. (2016) Developing a framework of care for opioid medication misuse in community pharmacy. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy , 12 (2). pp. 293-301. ISSN: 1934-8150 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2015.05.001
- Quirk, A. , MacNeil, V. , Dhital, R. , Whittlesea, C. , Norman, I. , McCambridge, J. (2016) Qualitative process study of community pharmacist brief alcohol intervention effectiveness trial: can research participation effects explain a null finding?. Drug and Alcohol Dependence , 161 pp. 36-41. ISSN: 0376-8716 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.01.023
- Dhital, R. , Norman, I. , Whittlesea, C. , Murrells, T. , McCambridge, J. (2015) The effectiveness of brief alcohol interventions delivered by community pharmacists: randomized controlled trial. Addiction , 110 (10). pp. 1586-1594. ISSN: 0965-2140 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/add.12994
- Khan, N. , Norman, I. , Dhital, R. , McCrone, P. , Milligan, P. , Whittlesea, C. (2013) Alcohol brief intervention in community pharmacies: a feasibility study of outcomes and customer experiences. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy , 35 (6). pp. 1178-1187. ISSN: 2210-7711 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11096-013-9845-1
- Dhital, R. , Whittlesea, C. , Milligan, P. , Khan, N. , Norman, I. (2013) The impact of training and delivering alcohol brief intervention on the knowledge and attitudes of community pharmacists: a before and after study. Drug and Alcohol Review , 32 (2). pp. 147-156. ISSN: 1465-3362 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-3362.2012.00513.x
- Dhital, R. , Norman, I. , Whittlesea, C. , McCambridge, J. (2013) Effectiveness of alcohol brief intervention delivered by community pharmacists: study protocol of a two-arm randomised controlled trial. BMC Public Health , 13 (152). ISSN: 1471-2458 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-152
- Dhital, R. , Whittlesea, C. , Norman, I. , Milligan, P. (2010) Community pharmacy service users’ views and perceptions of alcohol screening and brief intervention. Drug and Alcohol Review , 29 (6). pp. 596-602. ISSN: 1465-3362 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-3362.2010.00234.x
- Dhital, R. (2008) Alcohol screening and brief intervention by community pharmacists: benefits and communication methods. Journal of Communication in Healthcare , 1 (1). pp. 20-31. ISSN: 1753-8068 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/cih.2008.1.1.20