- Pharmacy Examinations Officer
- Outreach Coordinator
Areas of interest
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of mortality in the UK and in our aging population the incidence of cardiovascular disease is increasing. Therefore there is a pressing need for new and better treatments for these diseases. My main focus is on vascular pharmacology. In particular how the endothelial cells, which line inside of blood vessels, communicate and modulate the degree of constriction of the smooth muscle cells that form the wall of blood vessels. Understanding these processes help us develop new strategies for regulating blood flow and blood pressure; perhaps leading to new treatments for cardiovascular diseases. My work falls roughly in to four inter-related themes:
- Regulation of calcium-activated potassium channels (KCa) found in the endothelium. These channels play a critical role in endothelium derived hyperpolarization (EDH) mediated responses and regulation of blood pressure/flow. This theme also encompasses how such regulation affects EDH responses.
- Characterisation and elucidation of the mechanisms that underlie the endothelium dependent hyperpolarization, particularly in the cerebral vasculature with a particular focus on the role of fatty acid derived metabolites (including omega-3 fatty acids) and reactive oxygen species on these responses.
- The study of "food factors" like omega-3 fatty acids (fish oils), flavonoids and polyphenolic acids on vascular and endothelial cell function in heath and disease.
- The role of the endothelium in regulating spontaneous vasoconstrictor tone (myogenic tone) in smooth muscle cells. This has implications on vasomotion (a coordinated oscillatory relaxation and constriction of blood vessels) and vasospasm (uncontrolled vasoconstriction associated with strokes and heart attacks).
I also have a keen interest in disseminating science to schools and the general public.
TeachingAs well as research, I have an active role in university and academic life. I teach on the MPharm programme, focussing on pharmacology and cardiovascular therapeutics.
Research centres and groupsI am School director of Outreach for SCFP, Outreach Coordinator for the Reading School of Pharmacy and a member of the Policy and Public Engagement committee at the British Pharmacological Society. I am a member of the British Pharmacological Society where I am. I am also a member of The Physiological Society, Microcirculation Society, and British Society for Cardiovascular Research. I serve on the editorial boards of the British Journal of Pharmacology and Frontiers in Vascular Physiology as well as being a reviewer for numerous international peer reviewed journals and Research Charities. I am currently a member of the local organising committee for the 12th International Symposium of Resistance Arteries (ISRA 2017) which is being held 3 to 6 September 2017 in Manchester UK.
Research projectsMy research forms part of the University of Readings Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research (ICMR) and is currently funded by, Innovate UK (formerly the Technology Strategy Board) and the British Heart Foundation.
- Member of the ICMR
- Member of the Molecular Neuroscience Research Group
- Member of the British Pharmacological Society , the Physiological Society, the British Microcirculation Society, and British Society for Cardiovascular Research
- Member of editorial board of of the British Journal of Pharmacology and Frontiers in Vascular Physiology.
- Bercea, C. , Cottrell, G. ORCID: 0000-0001-9098-7627 , Tamagnini, F. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-5094 , McNeish, A. (2021) Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (ω-3 PUFAs) and hypertension: a review of vasodilatory mechanisms of DHA and EPA. British Journal of Pharmacology , 178 (4). pp. 860-877. ISSN: 0007-1188 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bph.15336
- Patra, P. , Serafeimidou-Pouliou, E. , Bazelot, M. , Whalley, B. , Williams, C. ORCID: 0000-0003-4452-671X , McNeish, A. (2020) Cannabidiol (CBD) improves survival and behavioural comorbidities of Dravet syndrome in mice. British Journal of Pharmacology , 177 (12). pp. 2779-2792. ISSN: 0007-1188 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bph.15003
- Perry, C. , Finch, P. , Muller-Taubenberger, A. , Leung, K. , Warren, E. , Damstra-Oddy, J. , Sharma, D. , Patra, P. , Glyn, S. , Boberska, J. , Stewart, B. , Baldwin, A. , Piscitelli, F. , Harvey, R. , Harwood, A. , Thompson, C. , Claus, S. , Greene, N. , McNeish, A. , Williams, C. , Whalley, B. , Williams, R. (2020) A new mechanism for Cannabidiol in regulating the one-carbon cycle and methionine levels in Dictyostelium and in mammalian epilepsy models. British Journal of Pharmacology , 177 (4). pp. 912-928. ISSN: 0007-1188 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bph.14892
- Patra, P. , Barker-Haliski, M. , White, H. , Whalley, B. , Glyn, S. , Sandhu, H. , Jones, N. , Bazelot, M. , Williams, C. , McNeish, A. (2019) Cannabidiol reduces seizures and associated behavioral comorbidities in a range of animal seizure and epilepsy models. Epilepsia , 60 (2). ISSN: 0013-9580 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/epi.14629
- Barrese, V. , Stott, J. , Figueiredo, H. , Aubdool, A. , Hobbs, A. , Jepps, T. , McNeish, A. , Greenwood, I. (2018) Angiotensin II promotes KV7.4 channels degradation through reduced interaction with HSP90 (heat shock protein 90). Hypertension , 71 (6). pp. 1091-1100. ISSN: 1524-4563 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.118.11116
- Limbu, R. , Cottrell, G. , McNeish, A. (2018) Characterisation of the vasodilation effects of DHA and EPA, n-3 PUFAs (fish oils), in rat aorta and mesenteric resistance arteries. PLoS ONE , 13 (2). ISSN: 1932-6203 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0192484
- Roux, B. , Bauer, C. , McNeish, A. , Ward, S. , Cottrell, G. (2017) The role of ubiquitination and hepatocyte growth factor-regulated tyrosine kinase substrate in the degradation of the adrenomedullin type I receptor. Scientific Reports , 7 (1). pp. 12389. ISSN: 2045-2322 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-12585-z
- Barrese, V. , Cidad, P. , Yueng, S. , Lopez-Lopez, J. , McNeish, A. , Ohya, S. , Perez-Garcia, M. , Greenwood, I. (2017) Proliferative role of Kv11 channels in murine arteries. Frontiers in Physiology , 8 ISSN: 1664-042X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2017.00500
- Onetti, Y. , Dantas, A. , Perez, B. , McNeish, A. , Vila, E. , Jimenez-Altyayo, F. (2017) Peroxynitrate formed during a transient episode of brain ischemia increases endothelium-derived hyperpolarization-type dilations in thromboxane/prostaglandin receptor stimulated rat cerebral arteries. Acta Physiologica , 220 (1). pp. 150-166. ISSN: 1748-1716 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/apha.12809
- Gauthier, K. , Campbell, W. , McNeish, A. (2014) Regulation of KCa2.3 andendothelium-dependent hyperpolarization (EDH) in the rat middle cerebral artery: the role of lipoxygenase metabolites and isoprostanes. PeerJ , 2 ISSN: 2167-8359 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj.414
- McNeish, A. , Altayo-Jimenez, F. , Cottrell, G. , Garland, C. (2012) Statins and selective inhibition of Rho kinase protect small conductance calcium-activated potassium channel function (KCa2.3) in cerebral arteries. PLoS ONE , 7 (10). ISSN: 1932-6203 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0046735
- McNeish, A. , Roux, B. , Aylett, S. , Van Den Brink, A. , Cottrell, G. (2012) Endosomal proteolysis regulates calcitonin gene-related peptide responses in mesenteric arteries. British Journal of Pharmacology , 167 (8). pp. 1679-1690. ISSN: 1476-5381 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2012.02129.x
- McNeish, A. , Altayo-Jimenez, F. , Garland, C. (2010) Evidence both L-type and non-L-type voltage-dependent calcium channels contribute to cerebral artery vasospasm following loss of NO in the rat. Vascular Pharmacology , 53 (3-4). pp. 151-159. ISSN: 1537-1891 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vph.2010.06.002
- Yuill, K. , McNeish, A. , Kansui, Y. , Garland, C. , Dora, K. (2010) Nitric oxide suppresses cerebral vasomotion by sGC-independent effects on ryanodine receptors and voltage-gated calcium channels. Journal of Vascular Research , 47 (2). pp. 93-107. ISSN: 1018-1172 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000235964
- Dora, K. , Gallagher, N. , McNeish, A. , Garland, C. (2008) Modulation of endothelial cell KCa3.1 Channels during endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor signaling in mesenteric resistance arteries. Circulation Research , 102 (10). pp. 1427-1255. ISSN: 0009-7330 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.108.172379
- McNeish, A. and Garland, C. (2007) Thromboxane A2 inhibition of SKCa after NO synthase block in rat middle cerebral artery. British Journal of Pharmacology , 151 (4). pp. 441-449. ISSN: 1476-5381 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0707240
- McNeish, A. , Sandow, S. , Neylon, C. , Chen, M. , Dora, K. , Garland, C. (2006) Evidence for involvement of both IKCa and SKCa channels in hyperpolarizing responses of the rat middle cerebral artery. Stroke , 37 (5). pp. 1277-1282. ISSN: 0039-2499 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000217307.71231.43
- McNeish, A. , Dora, K. , Garland, C. (2005) Possible role for K+ in endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor–linked dilatation in rat middle cerebral artery. Stroke , 36 (7). pp. 1526-1532. ISSN: 0039-2499 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000169929.66497.73