Reading in the news - Thu 10 Jun
Release Date 10 June 2021
COVID-19: expert comment on the pandemic
- Professor Ian Jones (Biological Sciences) is quoted in a Financial Times article about the Delta variant.
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) spoke to BBC Radio Manchester about the UK's vaccine supplies; and BBC Radio Oxford about lifting of restrictions and rising COVID-19 cases.
- Berkshire Live lists UoR's SportsPark and London Road Campus as surge testing sites for COVID-19.
#PlanetPartners: Reading's global work for a sustainable future
- The Hindustan Times quotes PhD student Akshay Deoras on Doppler radars forecasting clouds in Mumbai.
- BBC Radio Cornwall mentions Professor Richard Allan's (Met) research on higher rainfall levels in the UK.
Vegan diets: Comments by Professor Gunter Kuhnle (Food) on the reliability of new research conducted elsewhere, which suggests vegan and vegetarian diets may reduce the severity of COVID-19, are reported by news sites including The Irish Examiner, The Eastern Eye and China Daily.
- Frozen Food Europe mentions a UoR study on processed meats in burgers.
- Dr Mark Dallas' (Pharmacy) comments on the clinical trials of newly approved Alzheimer's drugs are further covered by News Cabal.
- Dr Mark Shanahan (Politics) is quoted in NewsWeek on Donald Trump's relationship with China's government.
- The India Education Diary covers news that UoR has risen three places since last year in the QS World University Rankings 2022. Read our news story.
- The Hampshire Live and Northants Live cover news that Dr Matt Ordidge (Research Fellow) was offered his second COVID jab in Portsmouth, despite living in Reading.
- The Warrington Guardian reports that former UoR student Lucy Glover has been named in the Team GB rowing squad for the Tokyo Olympics.
- Jon Foster-Pedley (Henley Business School South Africa) has written an opinion piece for Daily Maverick on the importance of good teachers.
- AgTrader and other Australian news sites report on research Reading was involved in on the health benefits of drinking milk.
- Nursery World runs a feature on how children's play has changed during the pandemic - containing comment from professor Helen Dodd (Psychology).
- A Toddleabout article on encouraging pre-school children to eat fruit and vegetables mentions UoR research on introducing visual techniques through picture books.
- AdvanceHE features case studies from UoR on how the University is representing and embedding the student voice into its policies and practices.