ML2YSWA-University study/Work placement/Assistantship abroad

Module Provider: Modern Languages
Number of credits: 80 [40 ECTS credits]
Level:5
Terms in which taught: Autumn / Spring / Summer module
Pre-requisites:
Non-modular pre-requisites:
Co-requisites:
Modules excluded:
Current from: 2019/0

Module Convenor: Dr Julia Waters

Email: J.Waters@reading.ac.uk

Type of module:

Summary module description:

This module consists of: • one academic year at a university in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country OR • one academic year in a work placement in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country OR • one academic year as an English-language teaching assistant in a school in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country OR a combination of the following: • half an academic year at a university in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country • half an academic year in a work placement in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country • half an academic year as an English-language teaching assistant in a school in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country


Aims:

This module aims to develop students' ability to work responsibly and effectively in a university, school or business environment in a French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country.


Assessable learning outcomes:

By the end of the module, students spending time at a university are expected to: - demonstrate a wide range of vocabulary and idiom in language courses; - demonstrate knowledge of a range of topics in courses taken at their exchange university; - demonstrate an understanding of the conventions of oral presentations and/or essay-writing in the relevant foreign university system. By the end of the module, students on a work placement are expected to understand: - the structure, functioning and operating procedures of the company; - their role within the company, with particular focus on the contributions they have made and specific achievements attained; - the results of the work they have undertaken and estimate its usefulness to the company; - the main lessons that have been learnt as a result of the work placement in terms both of the knowledge that has been acquired and the skills and competencies that have been developed. By the end of the module, students on an assistantship are expected to understand: - the structure, functioning and operating procedures of their educational establishment(s); - their role within the educational establishment(s), with particular focus on the contributions they have made and specific achievements attained; - the results of the teaching they have undertaken and the relationship between them and methodologies adopted; - the personal skills and competencies that have been developed.


Additional outcomes:

The module also aims to encourage the development of oral communication skills in French/German/Italian/Spanish, the encouragement of positive critical evaluation of the cultural and socio-political context of the French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking country in which they are working, and the fostering of a systematic approach to self-awareness and personal skills development.


Outline content:

After agreement by the relevant co-ordinator in the Department of Modern Languages and European Studies, students will either be: - choosing a number of courses at their host university on aspects of French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking culture, literature, linguistics, film, history, economics, politics or society, of which the relevant Year Abroad coordinator in Reading must be informed prior to departure OR - employed by a company to undertake a range of responsible activities, which will vary according to the company OR - employed to teach English for 12 hours a week. The type(s) of school and the teaching undertaken will vary according to the requirements of the country/Departmental Inspectorate concerned.


Brief description of teaching and learning methods:

Students will receive guidance on appropriate courses for study (university) or on the assessed report (Work Placement/Assistantship) from the Department and are advised to consult the Year Abroad Handbook for further details.


Contact hours:
  Autumn Spring Summer
Year aboad 400 400
       
Total hours by term 400 400 0
       
Total hours for module 800

Summative Assessment Methods:
Method Percentage

Summative assessment- Examinations:

Summative assessment- Coursework and in-class tests:

Study abroad (full year): 100% of available marks for this module. Assessment will depend on the assessment methods of the host university. Study abroad (half year): 50% of the available marks for this module. Assessment will depend on the assessment methods of the host university.



Work Placement report (full year): 80% of available marks for this module. 3000 words in French/German/Italian/Spanish, with an abstract in ENGLISH of 250 words, to be submitted by noon on the last working day in June. The remaining 20% of overall mark will be awarded on receipt of employer’s end-of-placement report.

Work Placement report (half year): 40% of available marks for this module. 1500 words in French/German/Italian/Spanish, with an abstract in ENGLISH of 250 words, to be submitted by noon on  either the last working day in January (first-semester placement) or the last working day in  June (second-semester placement). The remaining 10% of mark will be awarded on receipt of employer’s end-of-placement report.



Assistantship report (full year): 80% of available marks for this module. 3000 words in French/German/Italian/Spanish, with an abstract in ENGLISH of 250 words, to be submitted by noon on  the last working day in June. The remaining 20% of overall mark will be awarded on receipt of employer’s end-of-placement report.

Assistantship report (half year): 40% of available marks for this module. 1500 words in French/German/Italian/Spanish, with an abstract in ENGLISH of 250 words, to be submitted by noon on either  the last working day in January (first-semester placement) or the last working day in June (second-semester placement). The remaining 10% of mark will be awarded on receipt of employer’s end-of-placement report.


Formative assessment methods:

Penalties for late submission:
The Module Convener will apply the following penalties for work submitted late:

  • where the piece of work is submitted after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): 10% of the total marks available for that piece of work will be deducted from the mark for each working day[1] (or part thereof) following the deadline up to a total of five working days;
  • where the piece of work is submitted more than five working days after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): a mark of zero will be recorded.

  • The University policy statement on penalties for late submission can be found at: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/qualitysupport/penaltiesforlatesubmission.pdf
    You are strongly advised to ensure that coursework is submitted by the relevant deadline. You should note that it is advisable to submit work in an unfinished state rather than to fail to submit any work.

    Assessment requirements for a pass:

    40%


    Reassessment arrangements:

    Students studying in French-/German-/Italian-/Spanish-speaking universities are normally expected to use the re-assessment arrangements made available by these universities. Where this is not possible, and for students who have undertaken work placements or teaching assistantships, the Year Abroad (Assessment) Committee will fix re-assessment arrangements at the earliest opportunity.


    Additional Costs (specified where applicable):
    1) Required text books:
    2) Specialist equipment or materials:
    3) Specialist clothing, footwear or headgear:
    4) Printing and binding:
    5) Computers and devices with a particular specification:
    6) Travel, accommodation and subsistence:

    Last updated: 8 April 2019

    THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MODULE DESCRIPTION DOES NOT FORM ANY PART OF A STUDENT'S CONTRACT.

    Things to do now