MA2NAN-Numerical Analysis

Module Provider: Mathematics and Statistics
Number of credits: 10 [5 ECTS credits]
Level:5
Terms in which taught: Spring / Summer term module
Pre-requisites: MA1CA Calculus and MA1LA Linear Algebra
Non-modular pre-requisites: Either MA1MSP must have been undertaken as a pre-requisite OR MA2MPR must be undertaken as a co-requisite. Additionally, either MA1RA1 must have been undertaken as a pre-requisite OR MA2RA1 must be undertaken as a co-requisite.
Co-requisites:
Modules excluded:
Current from: 2019/0

Module Convenor: Dr Peter Chamberlain

Email: p.g.chamberlain@reading.ac.uk

Type of module:

Summary module description:

This module introduces students to the study of numerical approximation techniques for problems of continuous mathematics.  We consider both theoretical questions regarding how, why and when numerical methods work, and practical implementation using computer programs.


Aims:

To motivate, describe, analyse and implement numerical methods for problems in continuous mathematics, including: solution of nonlinear equations; approximation of integrals; solution of differential equations.  To develop skills in programming numerical methods.


Assessable learning outcomes:

By the end of the module, students are expected to be able to formulate, analyse and implement (including on a computer) numerical approximation techniques for a range of problems including:



- solution of nonlinear equations;



- evaluation of integrals;



- solution of initial-value problems for ordinary differential equations.


Additional outcomes:

Outline content:

This course discusses numerical approximation techniques for a range of problem, including solution of nonlinear equations, evaluation of integrals, and solution of initial-value problems for ordinary differential equations.


Brief description of teaching and learning methods:

This course discusses numerical approximation techniques for a range of problem, including solution of nonlinear equations, evaluation of integrals, and solution of initial-value problems for ordinary differential equations.


Contact hours:
  Autumn Spring Summer
Lectures 20 2
Practicals classes and workshops 10
Guided independent study: 68
       
Total hours by term 98 2
       
Total hours for module 100

Summative Assessment Methods:
Method Percentage
Written exam 70
Set exercise 30

Summative assessment- Examinations:

Length of examination: 2 hours


Summative assessment- Coursework and in-class tests:

The method of assessment for this course is a two-hour exam at the end of the year. This will be worth70% of the total mark. The other 30% can be gained via assessed coursework formed of analytic and computational work


Formative assessment methods:

Problem sheets.


Penalties for late submission:
The Module Convener will apply the following penalties for work submitted late:

  • where the piece of work is submitted after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): 10% of the total marks available for that piece of work will be deducted from the mark for each working day[1] (or part thereof) following the deadline up to a total of five working days;
  • where the piece of work is submitted more than five working days after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): a mark of zero will be recorded.

  • The University policy statement on penalties for late submission can be found at: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/qualitysupport/penaltiesforlatesubmission.pdf
    You are strongly advised to ensure that coursework is submitted by the relevant deadline. You should note that it is advisable to submit work in an unfinished state rather than to fail to submit any work.

    Assessment requirements for a pass:

    A mark of 40% overall.


    Reassessment arrangements:

    One examination paper of 2 hours duration in August/September - the resit module mark will be the higher of the exam mark (100% exam) and the exam mark plus previous coursework marks (70% exam, 30% coursework).


    Additional Costs (specified where applicable):
    1) Required text books:
    2) Specialist equipment or materials:
    3) Specialist clothing, footwear or headgear:
    4) Printing and binding:
    5) Computers and devices with a particular specification:
    6) Travel, accommodation and subsistence:

    Last updated: 24 September 2019

    THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MODULE DESCRIPTION DOES NOT FORM ANY PART OF A STUDENT'S CONTRACT.

    Things to do now