Arabic language programme
The fourth most widely spoken language in the world with over 230 million native speakers. A further 100-200 million people across northern Africa and western Asia speak Arabic as their second language.
British Council (2014), Languages for the Future
Taking Arabic with IWLP as part of your degree (for 20 credits)?
- If you are in the first year of your course (Part 1 or PGT) - select through online module selection as you do for your other modules. If the selection window has closed go to module surgeries or support centres.
- Returning students (Parts 2/3 and 4) - please discuss with a support centre how to change/add your module choices.
- During the enrolment process you may be asked to complete a IWLP_Arabic_Placement_Test .
- (NB: During the COVID-19 pandemic - While at home if you are unable to print your test to complete, please write the parts requiring Arabic characters on a sheet of paper, take a photo and attach it with the rest of the test.)
Taking the language with IWLP but not as part of your degree (as non-credit)?
Please note applications for non-credit open at the beginning of September 2020
If you are unsure or have any further queries please contact the IWLP Team on email@example.com or telephone 0118 378 7318.
LA1PA8-IWLP Arabic 1
This is a beginners' module for students who have no prior knowledge of Arabic in either the written or spoken form. It will provide students with the ability to survive in typical situations met by visitors when travelling in Arabic speaking countries for a short time; Please note that students with GCSE or equivalent in the language cannot enrol on a beginners' module. Please note that students with GCSE or equivalent in the language cannot enrol on a beginners' module.
LA1PA2-IWLP ARABIC 2
This post-beginner module is intended for students who have attended level 1 (or equivalent) and can survive in typical situations met by visitors when travelling in Arabic speaking countries for a short time. It aims to build on a previously acquired basic knowledge of Arabic by expanding the range of common, everyday situations and building confidence when communicating in Arabic. It includes revision of the basic grammar necessary for a sound foundation in the language. Find out more.
LA1PA3-IWLP ARABIC 3
This module aims to provide students who already have ability to read, write and understand Arabic script with the opportunity to gain confidence in the four language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. They will gain increased precision and accuracy in expressing themselves in, and understanding, oral and written Arabic.
Classes are 3 hours a week split into a 2hour and a 1hour session on different days. You need to attend all 3 hours every week.
No additional fees are required for IWLP modules if you are:
- A current Undergraduate/Postgraduate Taught student taking IWLP modules as part of your
120/180 credits for the year (with permission by your School in your module specifications).
For other students:
- Non-credit fees are not finalised for 2020/21 but are currently £340 for the year. This will be billed to your student account during November.
- PGR students: If your School is going to fund your IWLP module please get the PGR agreement form signed by your School Director of Teaching & Learning. Those not being
funded will be charged £340 to their student account in November.
- Staff: All staff are required to pay for their IWLP module. The fee is £340. If your School/Dept
are willing to fund your module, please complete and return the IWLP_Staff_Agreement_Form.
All forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you will enjoy your IWLP module. If however there is a reason you need to withdraw, you will need to complete a iwlp withdrawal form . We cannot remove you from our records until we have received this form, even if you have told your home department/tutor. Refunds are given up to the end of Week 4 of the autumn term.