Dr John McKeane
French Year Abroad Officer
School Officer for Employability and Citizenship
I teach a variety of cultural and language modules, and convene:
FR2HTF 'How to Think in French'
Areas of Interest
My research looks at modern philosophy and literature. But rather than being interested in either as a static body of work, I approach them in a comparative perspective. This means looking at the interaction of philosophy and literature, but also at currents cutting across different national, historical, and intellectual traditions. These cross-currents include aesthetics, phenomenology, romanticism, the philosophy of religion, psychoanalysis, tragedy, and translation studies.
In 2015 I published a monograph on the French philosopher, poet, translator and playwright Philippe Lacoue-Labarthe. Previously, my D.Phil. (2011) had looked at fragmentation, dialogue, and change in the work of Maurice Blanchot. I co-edited the collective volume Blanchot Romantique (2010), and have worked and published on the thinking of Derrida, Barthes, Nancy, Kofman, and Levinas.
I am also a translator of Jean-Luc Nancy’s Adoration: the Deconstruction of Christianity, II (2013), and of many chapters in the critical volumes Re-treating Religion: Deconstructing Christianity with Jean-Luc Nancy (2012) and From Art Nouveau to Surrealism: Belgian Modernity in the Making (2007). More recently, my attentions have been focused on translating Christophe Bident’s biography Maurice Blanchot, partenaire invisible (forthcoming).
I have supervised several MA theses and am happy to hear from potential PhD students or post-docs considering working on the above or related areas.
I belong to the editorial panels of the Espace Maurice Blanchot and of Barthes Studies.
My twitter account is @JohnMcKeane
Research groups / Centres
- Mckeane, J., (2016) Philippe Lacoue-Labarthe. The Literary Encyclopedia. The Literary Dictionary Company Limited. ISSN 1747-678X
- Mckeane, J. (2014) Change in the archive: Blanchot's 'L'Entretien infini'. Forum for Modern Language Studies, 50 (1). pp. 69-81. ISSN 1471-6860 doi: 10.1093/fmls/cqt027
- Mckeane, J. (2014) Coupure, mutation, fragmentation. Cahiers Maurice Blanchot, 3 (Autumn). pp. 131-139.
- Mckeane, J. (2014) Philippe Lacoue-Labarthe: (Un)timely meditations. Legenda, Oxford. ISBN 9781909662421
- Mckeane, J. (2013) Absolutely absolute: Mallarmé, Blanchot, and the absence de livre. In: Thinking Poetry: Philosophical Approaches to Nineteenth-Century French Poetry. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 97-112. ISBN 9781137329271
- Mckeane, J. (2013) 'Périmer d’avance': Blanchot, Derrida, and influence. In: Questions of Influence in Modern French Literature. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 111-125. ISBN 9781137309150
- Mckeane, J. (2013) Since we have been a dialogue: Blanchot's 'Entretiens'. Oxford Literary Review, 35 (1). pp. 47-64. ISSN 1757-1634 doi: 10.3366/olr.2013.0056
- Nancy, J.-L. and Mckeane, J. (2012) Adoration (the deconstruction of Christianity, II). Fordham University Press, New York. ISBN 9780823242948
- Mckeane, J. (2011) Réverbérations: 'Totalité et infini' dans l’écriture de Maurice Blanchot. Europe, 991-992 (Nov-Dec). pp. 117-129.