Dr Ellen Pilsworth
- +44 (0) 118 378 8126
Lecturer in German and Translation Studies
I teach courses on German literature and culture from the eighteenth to the twenty-first century, as well as translation from German to English. I also contribute sessions to ML1CompLit and ML1Trans.
Areas of Interest
I’m interested in the intersections of literature and politics from the eighteenth century to the present.
From April 2020 I will be on research leave funded by the British Academy and Wolfson Foundations to work on a new three-year project, ‘Knowing the Nazis: Inside and Out.’ The project investigates the English-language publications and broadcasts of Germans and Austrians who fled to Britain and continued to oppose National Socialism from their position of exile.
Research groups / Centres
I am involved in the emerging Modern Languages Research Cluster on European Publishing.
Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy
PhD in German Studies (University College London)
MPhil in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic (Cambridge)
BA (Hons) in English and German (Oxford)
- Pilsworth, E. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7379-0996 (2021) Romantic nationalism or romantic retreat? Re-evaluating the politics of Arnim and Brentano's Des Knaben Wunderhorn (1805/1808). German Life and Letters, 74 (2). pp. 166-182. ISSN 1468-0483 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/glal.12297
- Pilsworth, E. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7379-0996 (2021) Four responses to Nazism. Journal of the British Academy, 9. pp. 59-72. ISSN 2052-7217 doi: https://doi.org/10.5871/jba/009.059
- Karcher, K. and Pilsworth, E. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7379-0996 (2021) Germany’s ‘1968’: new questions and directions. In: Whittle, R. (ed.) Handbook of German Teaching. Taylor & Francis (Routledge). (In Press)
- Paulus, D. and Pilsworth, E., eds. (2020) Nationalism before the nation state: literary constructions of inclusion, exclusion, and self-definition (1756–1871). Brill, Leiden. doi: https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004426108
- Pilsworth, E. (2020) Enlightenment dilemmas: nationalism and war in Rudolph Zacharias Becker’s Mildheimisches Liederbuch (1799/1815). In: Nationalism before the nation. Inclusion, exclusion, and self-definition. Brill, Leiden. ISBN 9789004366831
- Pilsworth, E. (2018) “Nicht unsrer Lesewelt, und nicht der Ewigkeit”: late style in Gleim’s 'Zeit-' and 'Sinngedichte' (1792–1803). In: Wood, M. and Birgfeld, J. (eds.) Repopulating the Eighteenth Century: Second-Tier Writing in the German Enlightenment. Edinburgh German Yearbook (12). Boydell and Brewer, pp. 52-68. ISBN 9781640140196
- Pilsworth, E. (2016) “Also mein allerliebster redette ihre Sapho mit dem Kriege”: literary role-play in the war poetry of Anna Louisa Karsch. German Life and Letters, 69 (3). pp. 302-320. ISSN 1468-0483 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/glal.12121
- Pilsworth, E. (2016) Infanticide in 'Des Knaben Wunderhorn' and 'Faust I': romantic variations on a 'Sturm und Drang' theme. Oxford German Studies, 45 (4). pp. 405-420. ISSN 0078-7191 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/00787191.2016.1243326