Dr Elisa Bolchi
- +44 (0) 118 378 7105
I am a Marie Curie Research Fellow at the Department of Languages and Cultures, where I carry on my project ‘Virginia Woolf and Italian Readers’ under the supervision of Prof Daniela La Penna and Dr Nicola Wilson.
Before starting my Marie Curie Fellowship, I was Postdoctoral Fellow (Assegnista di ricercar) in English Literature at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore – Milan (2013-2019).
In 2019 I taught English Language and Civilization at Università degli studi, Milan.
From 2006 to 2019 I taught English Literature at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan.
From 2008 to 2013 I taught Comparative Literature at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan.
Areas of Interest
My main research interest is the Italian reception of modernist authors, with a special focus on the reception of Virginia Woolf in Italy, which is the object of my Marie Curie Research Project. This research is strongly interdisciplinary and covers different research areas such as literary studies, archival studies, translation studies, publishing studies and digital humanities.
A second line of research is the one focusing on the influence and legacy of modernism in contemporary authors such as Jeanette Winterson, Ian McEwan and Ali Smith.
Research on Jeanette Winterson and Ian McEwan also led me to develop a third line of research focused on Ecocriticism and Literary Ecology, with a specific attention to climate change fiction.
Research groups / Centres
- Member of the Management Board of the Centre for Book Cultures and Publishing (https://research.reading.ac.uk/centre-for-book-cultures-and-publishing/)
- Member of the CEMS – Centre for European Modernism Studies.
Public Funded Research Projects
2019-2021: P.I. of a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship inside Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme. Grant n.: 838658, title: Virginia Woolf and Italian Readers. 225.000€ Supervisors: Prof. Daniela La Penna and Dr Nicola Wilson. (http://research.reading.ac.uk/italian-woolf).
- 2018: Abilitatazione Scientifica Nazionale - II fascia per 10-L1 – Lingue, Letteratu-re e Culture Inglese e Angloamericana [National Scientific Qualification for Associate professorship – English Language and Literature (10-L1)]
- 2006: PhD in Literary Criticism, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Milan, Italy)
- 2002: MA in Foreign Languages and Literature, 110/110 (Libera Università IULM, Milan, Italy)
- Bolchi, E. (2020) Incontri artistici in spazi estremi. Solar di Ian McEwan e il progretto Cape Farewell. In: Brazzelli, N. (ed.) Estremi confini. Spazi e narrazioni nella letteratura di lingua inglese. Di/Segni. Ledizioni, Milan, pp. 177-188. ISBN 9788855262187
- Bolchi, E. (2020) Bloomsbury writers in Italy: a comparison of the Italian publication history of E.M. Forster, Lytton Strachey and Virginia Woolf. Letteratura e letterature, 14. pp. 71-87. ISSN 1973-2600 doi: https://doi.org/10.19272/202009801006
- Bolchi, E. (2019) No way back: war trauma in Richard Aldington and Virginia Woolf. In: Riede, A. (ed.) Transatlantic Shell Shock. British and American Literatures of World War I Trauma. University of North Georgia Press, Dahlonega, pp. 208-231. ISBN 9781940771656
- Bolchi, E., Child, P., ed. (2019) Richard Aldington. Death of a Hero. The Literary Enciclopedia (Volume 1.2.1.08: English Writing and Culture of the early Twentieth Century , 1900-1945.)
- Bolchi, E. (2019) A good European. Richard Aldington and Italy. In: Tortora, M. and Volpone, A. (eds.) Borders of Modernism. European Modernism (5). Morlacchi Editore, Perugia, pp. 237-258. ISBN 9788893921060