Online dictionaries & encyclopedias
Use these sources to find authoritative definitions and summaries – a useful starting point for seminar presentations and projects. They are a reliable alternative to Wikipedia!
General works and collections
These resources allow you to search for definitions and summaries in all subjects.
- Britannica Academic - search across the full 32 volumes of Encyclopædia Britannica
- Credo Reference - search across multiple works in all subjects
- Oxford Reference - search across multiple works in all subjects
- Summon - search our discovery service to find definitions from many of our online dictionaries and encyclopedias
Some More specific sources
This is a selection of reference works and collections we have purchased for specific subjects. To find other individual titles search the Enterprise catalogue.
- BCIS Online - building cost data
- BCIS Running Costs Online - building running cost data
- HighlyCited - a gateway to the most influential scientists and scholars
- Hoover's Company Profiles
- IBISWorld - industry market research
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law
- OED (Oxford English Dictionary)
- Oxford Research Encyclopedias - access to the Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Environmental Science