Skip to main content

Financial support available to new full-time undergraduate students in 2011/12 – University of Reading

Show access keys

Financial support available to new full-time undergraduate students in 2011/12

Support from Student Finance England

Please visit GOV.UK Student Finance or complete the 'Application for student finance' (PN1) paper form for 2011/12 to apply for the following support:

Tuition fee loan

If you have not studied a course of higher education before you can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the full cost of your tuition fees. The tuition fees for the 2011/12 academic year will cost £3,375.

Maintenance loan (Support for living costs)

You can apply for a maintenance loan to help with your living costs. Students starting in 2011/12 and living away from their parents' home can apply for a maximum of £4,950 for the academic year. Please note that 28% of the maximum maintenance loan of £4,950 is subject to income-assessment.

Maintenance grant (Support for living costs)

Depending on your household income you could qualify for a non-repayable maintenance grant of up to £2,906 for the 2011/12 academic year. You’ll get at least a partial grant if your household income is under £50,020. The amount of maintenance grant you receive will affect the amount of maintenance loan you can borrow. Your maintenance loan entitlement will be reduced by £0.50 for every £1 of maintenance grant you receive.

Special support grant (Support for living costs)

If you meet certain criteria (e.g. you are a lone parent) you could qualify for a non-repayable special support grant instead of a maintenance grant. This can pay up to £2,906 for the 2011/12 academic year. The amount of special support grant you receive will not affect the amount of maintenance loan you can borrow.

Additional grants (Support for dependants)

Depending on your circumstances you can apply for additional grants (e.g. the Parents' Learning Allowance, the Childcare Grant or the Adult Dependants' Grant) by completing the relevant sections of the 'Application for student finance' (PN1) form. You may also need to complete supplementary application forms such as the 'Childcare Grant Application Form' (CCG1) and supply supporting documentation to apply for this support.

Disabled Student's Allowance (Support towards extra course costs)

If you will incur extra course costs because you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty (like dyslexia) you can apply for help towards these costs from a Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA). You will need to complete a 'Disabled Students' Allowances Application Form' (DSA1) and provide supporting documentation.

Please note that you need to make a separate application to Student Finance England for the support listed above for each academic year of your course.

For more information visit GOV.UK Student Finance 

Support from the University of Reading

See Money matters, visit the Student Financial Support team in the Carrington Building or call 0118 378 7430 for information about the following support:

University of Reading Access Bursary

This bursary is available to enrolled, eligible full-time UK students whose household income falls below certain thresholds. The value of the bursary will range from £0 to £1,400 depending on household income. You do not need to apply for this funding. If you have completed the 'Application for student finance' (PN1) form for 2010/11 (or applied online), and given Student Finance England your consent to share information about your household income, we will automatically assess your entitlement to an Access Bursary.

Access to Learning Fund (also known as Hardship Fund)

If you get into financial difficulty or experience unexpected financial emergencies you can apply for extra help from the Access to Learning Fund. Awards are made on a needs basis and subject to a means test. Funds provided are usually non-repayable and designed to help students with living costs.

Donor Study and Travel Fund

You can apply for help towards the cost of travel that is directly related to your studies. You will need to provide a written supporting statement from your tutor or supervisor. Please use the funding database search to download an application form and guidance notes.

Entrance Scholarships

You may qualify for a non means-tested Entrance Scholarship of £1,000 if you are a high-achieving student with the qualifying grade requirements as stipulated by your department (see Entrance Scholarships for further details) and have specified the University of Reading as your original FIRM choice via UCAS by 1st August 2011. You do not need to apply for this support. We will notify you if you are successful. These Scholarships are payable in your first year only and will not be available to 2012 entrants.


More help and advice is available from the Money Doctors in the Students' Union (RUSU)

Telephone 0118 378 4108 or email

We use Javascript to improve your experience on, but it looks like yours is turned off. Everything will still work, but it is even more beautiful with Javascript in action. Find out more about why and how to turn it back on here.
We also use cookies to improve your time on the site, for more information please see our cookie policy.

Back to top