Short Loan (formerly known as the Course Collection) holds copies of essential reading list materials required for modules taught at the University. Books in Short Loan can be borrowed until 11:00 the following morning.
University staff and students can ask for items to be transferred into Short Loan when they are in heavy demand. We also transfer items into the collection if they have multiple holds.
- Where is Short Loan?
- When is it open?
- Finding items held in Short Loan
- How many Short Loan items can I borrow?
- How long can I borrow them for?
- Can I renew them?
- Can I book Short Loan items?
- Photocopies of reading list items
- Journals in Short Loan
- Can't get hold of books on your reading list?
Short Loan is located on the Ground Floor.
The collection is open during all normal Library opening hours.
- Check the Enterprise catalogue to find out if an item is available.
- A list of copies will be displayed when you view the Details of the title you need. If a copy is in the Short Loan it will display with the location "Short Loan - Ground Floor".
- Take a note of the Call Number from the catalogue.
- You can collect the item from the shelves. If the book isn't on the shelf, check for recently returned items on the trolleys next to the Self-Service Points in the section.
You may borrow three Short Loan items at a time.
All items taken from the Short Loan area must be issued, even if you only want to read them elsewhere in the Library. You can issue and return items at the Self-Service Points in the section. There are photocopying facilities within Short Loan if you do not wish to borrow.
Until 11:00 the following morning, seven days a week (unless already booked). Please remember to check your receipt as booked items will be due back at 11:00 on the same day .
- You can return and re-issue Short Loan items within the section as long as nobody else has booked them.
- You cannot renew them by telephone or using the self-service options on Enterprise.
Fines accumulate at the rate of £3.00 per book per day (or part of a day). You will not be able to borrow until all overdue items are returned and all fines paid.
You can book up to three Short Loan items for the 11:00 Booking slot. Booked items can be collected from the Short Loan shelves.
Short Loan includes photocopies of articles/chapters which are recommended on reading lists by teaching staff. These items are identified on Enterprise by the Call Number prefix: PHOTOCOPY followed by a number beginning with X (eg PHOTOCOPY--X1234) and the location "Short Loan - Ground Floor". These can be borrowed in the same way as other Short Loan items.
A small number of journals are available in Short Loan. These volumes are listed on Enterprise with the Call Number prefix: "JOURNALS--PER" or "JOURNALS--PER F" and the location "Short Loan - Ground Floor". These can be borrowed in the same way as other Short Loan items.
Although it is not Library practice to purchase texts for every student, we recommend that your tutors arrange the following:
- at least one copy is purchased for Short Loan of course textbooks your tutor recommends you buy yourself
- purchase of about one copy per 10 students of 'essential' reading (one or more of which might be made Overnight or 7-day loan)
If the books that you need always seem to be on loan, you can ask for them to be transferred to Short Loan for the rest of the term. Please ask at the Welcome Desk. We also transfer items into Short Loan if they have multiple holds.
Alternatively contact your Academic Liaison Librarian with details of the book you need and they will arrange for a copy to be put in the Short Loan and can authorise purchase of extra copies or an e-book.