The Course Collection (CC) holds copies of essential reading list materials required for modules taught at the University. Most are available for loan until 11:00 the following morning, a few are for reference only.
University staff and students can ask for items to be transferred into the Collection when they are in heavy demand. We also transfer items into the Collection if they have multiple holds.
- Where is the Course Collection?
- When is it open?
- Finding items held in the Course Collection
- How many Course Collection items can I borrow?
- How long can I borrow them for?
- Can I renew them?
- Can I book Course Collection items?
- Photocopies of reading list items
- Journals in Course Collection
- Can't get hold of books on your reading list?
The Course Collection is located on the Ground Floor of the URS Building.
The collection is open during all normal URS opening hours.
- Check the Enterprise catalogue to find out if an item is available.
- A list of copies will be displayed when you view the Details of the title you need. If a copy is in the Course Collection it will display with the location "Course Collection Ground Floor@URS".
- Take a note of the Call Number from the catalogue.
- You can collect the item from the shelves. If the book isn't on the shelf, check for recently returned items on the trolleys next to the Self-Service Points in the Collection.
You may borrow three Course Collection items at a time.
All items taken from the Course Collection must be issued, even if you only want to read them elsewhere in the URS Building, including the study spaces directly outside the Collection. You can issue and return items at the Self-Service Points in the Collection. There are photocopying facilities within the Course Collection if you do not wish to borrow.
Until 11:00 the following morning, seven days a week.
Some popular titles are for use in the Course Collection only. These are identified by both green and red bands on the spine.
- You can return and re-issue CC items within the Collection as long as nobody else has booked them.
- You cannot renew them by telephone or using the self-service options on Enterprise.
Fines accumulate at the rate of £3.00 per book per day (or part of a day). You will not be able to borrow until all overdue items are returned and all fines paid.
You can book up to three Course Collection items for the 11:00 Booking slot. Booked items can be collected from the Course Collection shelves.
The Course Collection holds photocopies of articles/chapters which are recommended on reading lists by teaching staff. These items are identified on Enterprise by the Call Number prefix: PHOTOCOPY followed by a number beginning with X (eg PHOTOCOPY--X1234) and the location "Course Collection Ground Floor@URS". These can be borrowed in the same way as other Course Collection items.
A small number of journals are available in the Course Collection. These volumes are listed on Enterprise with the Call Number prefix: "JOURNALS--PER" or "JOURNALS--PER F" and the location "Course Collection Ground Floor@URS". These can be borrowed in the same way as other Course Collection materials.
Although it is not Library practice to purchase texts for every student, we recommend that your tutors arrange the following:
- at least one copy is purchased for the Course Collection of course textbooks your tutor recommends you buy yourself
- purchase of about one copy per 10 students of 'essential' reading (one or more of which might be made Overnight or 7-day loan)
If the books that you need always seem to be on loan, you can ask for them to be transferred to the Course Collection for the rest of the term. Please ask at the URS Ground Floor Information Desk. We also transfer items into the Collection if they have multiple holds.
Alternatively contact your subject liaison librarian with details of the book you need and they will arrange for a copy to be put in the Course Collection and can authorise purchase of extra copies or an e-book.