How long can I keep items?
How long you can borrow a Standard loan item for depends on your user category:
External card holders
- You can renew standard loans if not wanted by another person (Associate Members and External Borrowers are limited to 5 renewals)
- Holds can be placed on standard loan items - see Placing & cancelling a hold using Enterprise
- Items may be recalled if required by another person - see Recalls
- Fines are charged for late return on recalled items and all items for External Borrowers - see Fines
7-day loan items
- These items are on restricted loan because they are in heavy demand
- Yellow tape on the spine indicates a 7-day loan
- You can renew 7-day loans if not wanted by another person (Associate Members and External Borrowers are limited to 5 renewals)
- Holds can be placed on 7-day loan items - see Placing & cancelling a hold using Enterprise
- Fines are charged for late return, currently 80p per day - see Fines
7-day loan journals
This is the loan period assigned to Journals/Periodicals.
See Borrowing journals for more information.
- These items are held in the Course Collection (CC)
- CC items are loaned for six hours during the day
- Between 16:00 and midnight you may borrow them until 10:00 the following day
- Course Collection items borrowed after midnight are loaned for six hours
- After 16:00 on Friday and during Saturday and Sunday you may borrow CC items until 10:00 Monday
- Heavy fines are charged for late return - currently 80p per hour or part of an hour
- CC items can be booked for the overnight and weekend slots
Term loans apply to multimedia items, children's books, music scores and play script sets. These items are provided mainly for extended use by students on school placement.