Retired University staff
University of Reading staff who retire in service can apply for External borrower membership of the Library at the discounted fee of £45 per annum. Membership will confer borrowing rights only, it will not allow access to e-resources. If you have a courtesy title you will be eligible to register as an Associate Member.
Former members of staff who have retired, but not from University, are welcome to use the Library as a member of the public.
Applying for borrowing rights
- Download the External borrowers application form (PDF).
Printed copies are also available from the Welcome Desk on the Ground Floor of the Library.
- Send the completed form to the Library User Services Team (see contact us for our postal address) or email it to email@example.com.
- If eligible, you will be invited to register and to pay the appropriate fee detailed above.
- Registration in person is available at the Welcome Desk Monday to Friday 9:00 - 19:00 and Saturday and Sunday 9:00 - 17:00 during term time. During vacation, hours may vary but ordinarily are Monday to Friday 9:00 - 16:30. If you cannot visit during these hours please contact the Library User Services Team (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: (0118) 378 8770) to make alternative arrangements.
See our Privacy notice (PDF) for information on what personal information we collect, hold and share in order to provide Library services to you and your rights in respect of the data we hold about you.
You will be given an External borrowers card which gives you access to the Library and enables you to borrow:
- five standard or term loan items
- these can be borrowed for up to six weeks unless recalled by another person
- you will be fined 80p per day for items that have been recalled and are overdue
Using self-service features on the catalogue
When you register you will be given a PIN which you can use to access the self-service features on the catalogue system, such as renewing your loans, placing holds (on Standard loan items only), and viewing your account.
If you forget your PIN, just contact us for a reminder, but please be prepared to quote your Library card number.
For further information on access to the Library please contact us.
For information about free resources see our Guide to free research resources.