Short Loan (formerly known as the Course Collection) holds copies of essential reading list materials required for modules taught at the University. Books in Short Loan can be borrowed until 11:00 the following morning.
University staff and students can ask for items to be transferred into Short Loan when they are in heavy demand. We also transfer items into the collection if they have multiple holds.
- Where is Short Loan?
- When is it open?
- Finding items held in Short Loan
- How many Short Loan items can I borrow?
- Can I renew them?
- Photocopies of reading list items
- Can't get hold of books on your reading list?
Short Loan is located on the 4th floor.
The collection is open during all normal Library opening hours.
- Check the Enterprise catalogue to find out if an item is available.
- A list of copies will be displayed when you view the Details of the title you need. If a copy is in the Short Loan it will display with the location "Short Loan - 4th floor".
- Take a note of the Call Number from the catalogue.
- You can collect the item from the shelves.
You may borrow three Short Loan items at a time.
You can issue items at the Self-Service Points on the Ground floor. There are photocopying facilities on each floor if you do not wish to borrow items. Please leave any items not borrowed on the trolleys provided.
It is not possible to renew Short Loan items.
Fines accumulate at the rate of £3.00 per book per day (or part of a day). You will not be able to borrow until all overdue items are returned and all fines paid.
Short Loan includes photocopies of articles/chapters which are recommended on reading lists by teaching staff. These items are identified on Enterprise by the Call Number prefix: PHOTOCOPY followed by a number beginning with X (eg PHOTOCOPY--X1234) and the location "Short Loan - 4th floor". These can be borrowed in the same way as other Short Loan items.
Although it is not Library practice to purchase texts for every student, we recommend that your tutors arrange the following:
- at least one copy is purchased for Short Loan of course textbooks your tutor recommends you buy yourself
- purchase of about one copy per 10 students of 'essential' reading (one or more of which might be made Overnight or 7-day loan)
If the books that you need always seem to be on loan, you can ask for them to be transferred to Short Loan for the rest of the term. Please contact your Academic Liaison Librarian with details of the book you need and they will arrange for a copy to be put in the Short Loan and can authorise purchase of extra copies or an e-book.