University username and password required via an Institutional login
Registration is required to use this resource - connect to the Census Datasets using the link above for more details and a registration form
Census.ac.uk is a gateway for census datasets.
It includes links to:
- Aggregate statistics. There are two web-based interfaces that enable users to access and extract data from the aggregate statistics outputs from the 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001 and 2011 censuses. Casweb, the older interface, contains UK census data up to 2001. InFuse contains the 2011 and 2001 census aggregate data for England and Wales.
- Flow data. Access to interaction data is provided through WICID (Web-based Interface to Census Interaction Data).
- Microdata. Samples of Anonymised Records (SARs), which are samples of individual person-level records, are currently available from the 1991 and 2001 censuses, and will be available from the 2011 census in due course. Most SAR files can be downloaded from the Census microdata page.
- Digitised boundary datasets, digitised representations of the underlying geography of the censuses, are available on the Census boundary data site. They are available in many Geographical Information System (GIS) formats. Includes 1991, 2001 and 2011 UK census boundaries and some historic boundaries.
- The Historical Censuses Collections (CHCC), which comprise individual and aggregate-level historical census data.
Help & guidance
The UK Data Service provides guides for the different types of census data that are available (aggregate data, flow data, microdata and boundary data). They also provide a wide range of guides on discovering, interpreting and manipulating data.
Teachers may be interested in the teaching datasets and practical resources that the UK Data Service provides to support the use of data in teaching and learning.
Contact your subject liaison librarian for additional advice on using this resource.
- This resource is not suitable for use with EndNote.
- What is EndNote?