If you are on campus you will be able to access most e-journals and e-books, and some databases, without entering a username and password because your IP address identifies you as being at the University of Reading.
For any that require a login, see Off-campus guidance below.
When you are off-campus you will need to login via the University's Online Resources Single Sign On page to identify yourself as a member of the University of Reading to gain access to our protected databases, e-books and e-journals. This sign on page will only appear when you try to access a resource, it is not a portal you login to prior to selecting a resource.
Once you have reached the sign on page just enter your University username and password, which will be the same as the ones you use to access Blackboard or your University emails. Most usernames will consist of two letters, six numbers, and your email suffix - for example email@example.com.
Getting to the login page...
- For some resources, if you follow a link from our website, catalogue or E-journals Finder you will be taken directly to the Online Resources Single Sign On page upon trying to access them. These have been set up with a proxy server to emulate on-campus access.
- For others you may need to look for a login option once you reach the resource you are trying to access. Look for an institutional or shibboleth login option and pick 'University of Reading' from a list of institutions. This will direct you to the sign on page. More about the Institutional login.
Access to e-resources for...
- Associate Members - please see Associate Members page for information on access to e-resources.
- Members of the public - we are unable to offer walk-in access to e-resources from April 2017 until Autumn 2020 due to the Library Refurbishment Project.
Further sources of help
- Information for off-campus users
- Accessing e-journals
- Using the Item Finder to link directly from database search results to e-journals.
Problems accessing e-resources?
Please fill in the E-resources problem report form if you have any problems.