Before using this resource you must register for an Elsevier account and create your own username and password.
- Link to SciVal - University username and password required
You may need to search for the 'University of Reading' once you have logged in.
SciVal is a research information tool that offers easy access to the research performance of 7,500 research institutions and 220 nations worldwide.
Produced by Elsevier it uses bibliometric information from the Scopus database from 1996 onwards. By looking at citation data, it is possible to visualise the overall research performance of groups or institutions, perform benchmarking across groups and institutions and investigate possible collaborative partnerships. SciVal offers a broad range of metrics such as productivity, citation impact, collaboration, disciplinarity, snowball metrics and power metrics.
Use SciVal to:
- create data sets for groups of researchers that can represent actual research teams, departments, schools or international collaboration groups;
- create publication sets based on a particular affiliation or a grant award;
- create groups of publication sets to represent those that might be submitted to national evaluations, e.g. the UK Research Excellence Framework (REF);
- use a range of metrics to evaluate different aspects of research performance across different disciplines.
Help & guidance
- How to use the Overview module (video)
- How to use the Benchmarking module (video)
- SciVal metrics guidebook
- SciVal usage guidebook
- Snowball metrics recipe book
For individual help and advice on using SciVal, contact Karen Rowlett, Research Publications Adviser.
Exporting to EndNote is not supported. What is EndNote?