LBC/IRN audio archive
Institutional login required to access this resource via a search engine when off-campus.
The London Broadcasting Company / Independent Radio News audio archive consists of approximately 80,000 individual audio files of recordings relating to news and current affairs from 1973 to the mid-1990s. These clips have been digitised from the 7000 hours of reel-to-reel tapes in the full archive collection as part of a JISC funded programme. Recordings are from a wide range of broadcasts, including coverage of the Falklands war, the miners' strike, Northern Ireland, the whole of the Thatcher period of government and recordings of the first hour of UK commercial radio including the first commercial radio news bulletin.
Help & guidance
Contact your Academic Liaison Librarian for advice on using this resource.
How you may use the content
Members of the University are allowed to listen to the audio clips online and download them to use in teaching and learning.
- lecture presentations
- blackboard - Tip! You may only link to the audio on the LBC/IRN website, do not download and embed the audio
- student work
- publicly available websites
- public display in University
You can save your references to EndNote in the following ways:
- Desktop EndNote - Download & import using the 'BibTex' import option
- EndNote online - Download & import using the 'BibTex' import option
- Click in the checkbox to the left of each record you want.
- When you've finished click on 'All Marked Records' on the left of the screen.
- Save the marked records as BibTeX, this will download a '.bib' file
- Import this file into Desktop EndNote or EndNote online using the 'BibTeX' import option.