Skip to main content

Using other libraries – University of Reading

Show access keys

Using other libraries

As a member of the University of Reading you can usually use other academic libraries. However, if you want to consult another Library's collections please contact the Library concerned before making a special journey.

It is not always necessary to visit libraries directly - our Inter-library loans service can obtain material from other libraries for you.

Can I use my local university library?

Yes - if the library you want to use is a member of SCONUL (Society of College, National and Research Libraries). Find out if your local library is a member of SCONUL

SCONUL provides two schemes you can use to visit other university libraries:

  • SCONUL Access: reciprocal access scheme
  • the SCONUL Summer Vacation Access Scheme

SCONUL Access: reciprocal access scheme

SCONUL Access is aimed at all members of a university and allows you to visit university libraries during most times of the year, although you should always check with the library before you visit.

Part-time students, full-time postgraduate students (taught and research), and staff may be able to borrow using this scheme but most full-time undergraduates will not be able to, unless they are on placement.

SCONUL Summer Vacation Access Scheme

The SCONUL Summer Vacation Access Scheme is designed for undergraduates and masters students wanting to use their local university library during summer vacation. It allows you reference only access to other SCONUL members' libraries during their summer vacation. You will not be able to borrow.

Just remember to take your University of Reading Campus Card with you as proof of identity.

Which other libraries will be useful for me?

Any specialist libraries for your subject will be listed on your subject resource pages, alternatively ask your tutor for advice on other libraries they use.

See our guidance on Locating items elsewhere and Locating archives and rare book collections elsewhere for general advice on finding materials held in other libraries.

Staff and research postgraduates may have reference only access to libraries which are members of Access 25 scholarly (non-HE) libraries who are members of the London based M25 consortium.

The British Library is the country's national library with vast collections which could support your learning and research. Some of these collections are available via the Inter-library loans service, others you can consult in their reading rooms - find out how to get access to the British Library


We use Javascript to improve your experience on, but it looks like yours is turned off. Everything will still work, but it is even more beautiful with Javascript in action. Find out more about why and how to turn it back on here.
We also use cookies to improve your time on the site, for more information please see our cookie policy.

Back to top