- Convenor for Law of Armed Conflict (International Humanitarian Law) (LWMTAC)
- Provides students with academic support during assigned hours and classes.
- Teaches and researches in public international law, the use of force, international humanitarian law, international human rights law, public law, peacebuilding and post-conflict justice.
Areas of interest
- Public international law
- Use of force
- International humanitarian law
- International human rights law
- International criminal law
- Peacebuilding and post-conflict justice
Saeed welcomes proposals from prospective doctoral students with an interest in international humanitarian law, the law on the use of force, peacebuilding and post-conflict justice.
- LLB: International Human Rights LawPublic Law IPublic Law IILegal SkillsResearch Project
- LLM: Law of Armed Conflict (International Humanitarian Law) (module convenor); The Use of Military Force; Dissertation
Research centres and groups
Dr Saeed Bagheri is a Lecturer in International Law at the University of Reading, School of Law, where he has also held a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship from 2019-2021. Prior to joining the University of Reading he was a Max Weber Postdoctoral Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI) from 2017-2019. During the currency of his post at the EUI, he worked on a project relating to the legal validity of the use of force against armed non-state actors.
Saeed conducts research in the law on the use of force, international humanitarian law, peacebuilding and post-conflict justice and teaches across a range of modules on the law programs. His main research path explores the contradictions in the application of the law on the use of force and international humanitarian law. Saeed has published extensively on jus ad bellum, jus in bello, peacebuilding and post-conflict justice. He is the author of International Law and the War with Islamic State: Challenges for Jus ad Bellum and Jus in Bello (Oxford, Hart Publishing, 1st edition, 2021).
Saeed has held visiting positions, including Visiting Fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge (Summer 2018), Visiting Lecturer at the University College London (Spring 2018), and Visiting Fellow at the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies at Leiden University Law School (Spring 2018). Prior to his postdoctoral positions, he was an Assistant Professor at Akdeniz University from 2015-2017.
Saeed is a member of the Global Law at Reading (GLAR) grouping, and a member of the British Branch of the International Law Association, and the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law (ANZSIL). He has served as a peer reviewer for several international peer-reviewed journals, including International Journal of Transitional Justice (Oxford journals), Journal of Peacebuilding & Development (SAGE journals), and Journal on the Use of Force and International Law (Routledge journals).
- Member of the British Branch of the International Law Association (ILA)
- Member of Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law (ANZSIL)
- Regional Correspondent for the Oxford Human Rights Hub, University of Oxford
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Economics, Law and Policy (Scholink)