- Convenes the Law of Tort (first year undergraduate module) and a postgraduate module on contemporary issues in environmental law.
- Shared responsibility for an undergraduate module on environmental law.
- Programme Director for the LLB.
Building locationFoxhill House
Areas of interest
Mark's main research interests lie in environmental law, tort and the interplay between the two. This is exemplified by his book on Civil Liability for Environmental Damage which is now in its second edition. He has a particular interest in the relationship between law and technology in an environmental context and his piece on 'BAT and Coal-Fired Power Stations: can the energy gap be plugged without increasing emissions?' has been cited by NGOs in their dealings with Government.
Mark is also interested in legal history which he finds offers fresh insights into his research in tort and environmental law. This approach shed new light on the equitable discretion to awards damages in lieu of an injunction and the resulting publication was cited by the UK Supreme Court in the seminal nuisance case of Coventry v Lawrence  UKSC 13
Many of Mark's research interests have been brought together in his developing work on railways and law which he is striving to develop into a field of study in its own right. At present he is working on environmental issues associated with major rail infrastructure projects and a historical piece on the railway sparks cases. This has yielded major new insights into the development of strict liability and the origins of the statutory authority defence.
Please visit Mark's blog, Railways and Law, which focuses on current rail topics and has established contacts with the rail industry.
Mark joined the University of reading 2005 having lectured at Brunel since 2000. He started his career at the University of Hertfordshire.
LLB (Hons) (Bournemouth), LLM (Soton), PhD (Brunel)
- "Mark Wilde, 'Civil Liability for Environmental Damage: A Comparative Analysis of Law and Policy in Europe and the US" (2nd edn) (Wolters Kluwer 2013)
- "Magnohard v The United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority: Claiming for the Economic and Psychological "Legacy" of Nuclear and Maritime Pollution" (2004) 6 Environmental Liability 243
- "Locus Standi in Environmental Torts and the Potential Influence of Human Rights Jurisprudence" (2003) 12(3) Review of European Community and International Environmental Law 284
- "Civil Liability for Environmental Damage: A Comparative Analysis of Law and Policy in Europe and the United States", (2002) Kluwer Law Publishing
- "The EC Commission's White Paper on Environmental Liability: Issues and Implications" (2001) 13(1) Journal of Environmental Law 21
- "Particular Issues of Public Health: Environmental Damage: Problems of International and EC Regulation", in Martin & Johnson (eds), (2001) Law and the Public Dimension of Health Cavendish
- Wilde, M. (2021) Extraterritorial liability of parent company for the torts of its subsidiary: Okpabi and others v Royal Dutch Shell. Journal of Professional Negligence , 37 (3). pp. 142-147. ISSN: 1746-6709
- Wilde, M. (2019) Railway sparks: technological development and the common law. American Journal of Legal History , 59 (4). pp. 444-512. ISSN: 0002-9319 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ajlh/njz024
- Wilde, M. (2019) Japanese knotweed and economic loss in nuisance: framing environmental harm in tort. Journal of Environmental Law , 31 (2). pp. 343-349. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqz016
- Wilde, M. (2017) All the queen's horses: statutory authority and HS2. Legal Studies: The Journal of the Society of Legal Scholars , 37 (4). pp. 765-785. ISSN: 1748-121X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/lest.12173
- Wilde, M. (2016) Implications for the rail freight sector of stricter European Union locomotive emission limits: a UK perspective. Business Law Review , 37 (4). pp. 118-123. ISSN: 0143-6295
- Wilde, M. (2013) Nuisance law and damages in lieu of an injunction: challenging the orthodoxy of the Shelfer criteria. In: Pitel, S. , Neyers, J. , Chamberlain, E. , (eds.) Tort law: challenging orthodoxy. Hart Publishing , Oxford. pp. 355-389. ISBN: 9781849464710
- Wilde, M. (2013) Nuisance law in industrial Wales - local and national conflicts (part two): oil refining, the common law and regulation. In: Bishop, P. and Stallworthy, M. , (eds.) Environmental Law and Policy in Wales - Responding to Local and Global Challenges. University of Wales Press ISBN: 9780708325803
- Wilde, M. (2013) Nuisance law in industrial Wales - local and national conflicts (part one): copper smelting in a pre-regulatory era. In: Bishop, P. and Stallworthy, M. , (eds.) Environmental Law and Policy in Wales - Reponding to Local and Global Challenges. University of Wales Press ISBN: 9780708325803
- Wilde, M. (2010) The new directive on ambient air quality and cleaner air for Europe. Environmental Law Review , 12 (4). pp. 282-290. ISSN: 1740-5564 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1350/enlr.2010.12.4.102
- Smith, C. and Wilde, M. (2010) R v Pease (1832). In: Mitchell, C. and Mitchell, P. , (eds.) Landmark cases in the law of tort. Hart , Oxford. pp. 1-31. ISBN: 9781849460033
- Wilde, M. (2008) Best Available Techniques (BAT) and coal fired power stations: Can the energy gap be plugged without increasing emissions?. Journal of Environmental Law , 20 (1). pp. 87-114. ISSN: 1464-374X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqm039
- Wilde, M. (2006) Liability issues associated with genetically modified organisms: EU and international developments. In: Betlem, . and Brans, . , (eds.) Environmental Liability in the EU. Cameron May , London. pp. 269-299. ISBN: 9781905017225