- US Naval War College/International Committee of the Red Cross, Workshop on Geneva Convention III Commentary, Invited speaker (March 2021)
- Leuphana University Luneburg, Litigating Crises - Exploratory Workshop, Invited participant (2020)
- International Committee of the Red Cross/Harvard Law School/US Naval War College Workshop on Partnered Warfare under International Law, Washington DC, Paper presentation on 'State responsibility for deprivation of liberty in partnered military operations' (Dec 2019)
- Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights, Geneva, Respondent to Paper on ICRC Commentary to Geneva Convention III (Nov 2019)
- 13th Annual Minerva/International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Conference on International Humanitarian Law, Jerusalem, Paper presentation on 'Recent Case Law on Detention in Armed Conflict' (Nov 2018)
- Chatham House Workshop on Proportionality under the Law of Armed Conflict, Geneva, Invited participant (Sept 2018)
- 41st Roundtable on Current Issues in International Humanitarian Law, San Remo, Invited participant for expert debate panel (Sept 2018)
- University of Oslo, Guest lecture on 'International Litigation and the Disaggregation of Disputes' (Sept 2018)
- Individualisation of War Conference, European University Institute, Florence, Invited discussant for international law panel (June 2018)
- Retreat of the Judges of the Kosovo Specialist Chambers, Nuremberg, Invited speaker on international criminal law under the Specialist Chambers' Statute (2017)
- Royal Navy, Commodore Naval Legal Services International & Operational Law Course, Portsmouth, 'Keynote Address: Detention in Non-International Armed Conflict' (Sept 2017)
- Paris Conference on General Principles as Applied by International Court and Tribunals, Paper presentation on 'Invoking State Responsibility as a General Principle' (June 2017)
- Chatham House, Military/Intelligence Workshops on Armed Drones, Invited speaker on the international legal framework regulating armed drones (2017)
- International & Comparative Law Quarterly Annual Lecture, British Institute of International & Comparative Law, Co-presented on 'The International Law Framework Regulating the Use of Armed Drones' (with Professor Dapo Akande) (March 2017)
- 11th Annual Minerva/ICRC Conference on International Humanitarian Law, Jerusalem, Paper presentation on 'The Challenge of Teleology: The Invocation of IHL in National and International Courts' (Nov 2016)
- Expert Workshop on the Relationship between the Law of Armed Conflict and General International Law, Paper presentation on 'Individual Rights under the Law of Armed Conflict' (September 2016) (also workshop co-convenor and panel chair)
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)/Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict, Fourth Transatlantic Workshop on International Law and Armed Conflict, Oxford, Invited participant and speaker on detention (June 2016)
- Fifth Annual Junior Faculty Forum for International Law, New York University, Paper presentation on 'The Nature of Rights and Obligations under International Humanitarian Law' (May 2016)
Teaches on the LLB (Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, Trusts Law and International Law) and the LLM (International Humanitarian Law and International Dispute Settlement).
Areas of interest
- Public international law
- international humanitarian law
- international criminal law
- international human rights law
- State responsibility
- law of treaties.
- LLB: Constitutional Law; Administrative Law; Trusts Law; International Law
- LLM: Law of Armed Conflict (International Humanitarian Law) (module convenor); International Dispute Settlement; Public International Law.
Research centres and groups
Prior to joining Reading in 2013, Lawrence was a Graduate Teaching Assistant in Public International Law at the University of Oxford, where he was also completing his doctorate. He was also previously a Stipendiary Lecturer and Director of Studies in Law at Merton College, Oxford. Other previous positions include British Research Council Fellow at the John W Kluge Center, Library of Congress, Washington DC, Convenor of the Oxford Public International Law Discussion Group, and Treasurer & Member of the Executive Committee of Oxford Pro Bono Publico.
Lawrence's research interests cut across a number of topics within public international law, with his recent work focusing on international dispute settlement, international humanitarian law, international human rights law and international criminal law. His monograph, Detention in Non-International Armed Conflict, which was published in 2016 by Oxford University Press, was awarded the American Society of International Law's 2016 Francis Lieber Prize for best book in the field of international law and armed conflict as well as the 11th Paul Reuter Prize (administered by the International Committee of the Red Cross). His scholarship has been cited by, amongst others, the UK Court of Appeal and UK Supreme Court.
Lawrence has acted as advisor to, inter alia, United Nations Special Rapporteurs, the International Bar Association, and the European Parliament. He is frequently instructed in cases raising public law and public international law issues before UK courts and international tribunals.
He is currently working on a few projects, including one examining the judicialisation of the Ukraine/Russia crisis in different international courts and tribunals.
News items about Lawrence
- ‘Racism will not pass’… A new article by Dr Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne
- Professor Mike Schmitt and Dr Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne have both written chapters for The Oxford Guide to International Humanitarian Law
- Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne’s monograph, Detention in Non-International Armed Conflict, released in paperback with new preface
- Dr Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne at the Paul Reuter Prize Awards Ceremony
- Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne and Mads Andenas, the UN Special Rapporteur on Arbitrary Detention.
LLB (London School of Economics); BCL, MPhil, DPhil (University of Oxford)
- 'Joint Symposium: Chatham House Paper on Proportionality in the Conduct of Hostilities', EJIL:Talk blog post, 4 February 2018
- 'Appealing the High Court's Judgment in the Public Law Challenge against UK Arms Export Licenses to Saudi Arabia', EJIL:Talk blog post, 29 November 2018
- 'The ICJ's Provisional Measures Order in Alleged Violations of the 1955 Treaty (Iran v United States)', EJIL:Talk blog post, 3 October 2018
- 'Application of International Humanitarian Law by Domestic Courts', EJIL:Talk blog post, 15 September 2015
- 'The Grand Chamber Judgment in Hassan v UK', EJIL:Talk blog post, 16 September 2014
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2020) Persons covered by international humanitarian law. In: Saul, B. and Akande, D. , (eds.) The Oxford Guide to International Humanitarian Law. Oxford University Press pp. 99-124. ISBN: 9780198855309
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2019) International litigation and the dissaggregation of disputes: Ukraine/Russia as a case study. International & Comparative Law Quarterly , 68 (4). pp. 779-815. ISSN: 0020-5893 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0020589319000411
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. and Macak, K. , eds. (2018) The relationship between international humanitarian law and general international law. Journal of Conflict and Security Law (Special Issue) , 23. Oxford Journals (3). | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jcsl/kry024
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. and Mačák, K. (2018) Editorial: the relationship between international humanitarian law and general international law. Journal of Conflict & Security Law , 23 (3). pp. 323-335. ISSN: 1467-7954 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jcsl/kry024
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2016) Dispute settlement in the aftermath of disasters. In: Breau, S. and Samuel, K. , (eds.) Research Handbook on Disasters and International Law. Research Handbooks in International Law Edward Elgar , Cheltenham. pp. 501-530. ISBN: 9781784717391
- Heyns, C. , Akande, D. , Hill-Cawthorne, L. , Chengeta, T. (2016) The international law framework regulating the use of armed drones. International and Comparative Law Quarterly , 65 (4). pp. 791-827. ISSN: 1471-6895 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0020589316000385
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2016) Detention in non-international armed conflict. Oxford Monographs in International Humanitarian and Criminal Law Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp 304. ISBN: 9780198749929
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. and Akande, D. (2015) The Lieber Code and the regulation of civil war in international law. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law , 53 (3). pp. 638-651. ISSN: 0010-1931
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2015) Just another case of treaty interpretation? Reconciling humanitarian law and human rights law in the ICJ. In: Andenas, M. and Bjorge, E. , (eds.) A Farewell to Fragmentation: Reassertion and Convergence in International Law. Cambridge University Press pp. 272-296. ISBN: 9781107082090
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2015) Regulating non-international armed conflicts: a review essay of 'The Law of Non-International Armed Conflict' by Sandesh Sivakumaran. Australian Yearbook of International Law , 32 pp. 169-181.
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2015) Protections for persons deprived of their liberty in international armed conflict. Collegium , 45 pp. 31-38. ISSN: 1796-2986
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2015) Humanitarian law, human rights law and the bifurcation of armed conflict. International and Comparative Law Quarterly , 64 (2). pp. 293-325. ISSN: 1471-6895 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S002058931500010X
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2014) The role of necessity in international humanitarian and human rights law. Israel Law Review , 47 (2). pp. 225-251. ISSN: 2047-9336 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0021223713000265
- Hill-Cawthorne, L. (2013) The Copenhagen principles on the handling of detainees: implications for the procedural regulation of internment. Journal of Conflict & Security Law , 18 (3). pp. 481-497. ISSN: 1467-7962 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jcsl/krt015