Dr Andrea Miglionico
126d Edith Morley
Lecturer in Banking and Finance Law
Module convenor and lecturer in the following LLM courses:
- International Banking and Finance Law
- Legal Aspects of Financial Regulation
- International Economic Law
- International Corporate Finance and the Law
- Advanced International Commercial Law Issues
PhD Supervision of Banking and Finance Law
Areas of Interest
- Banking and Finance Law
- Regulation of Financial Markets
- Corporate and Banking Insolvency Law
- Law and Economics
Research groups / Centres
- Member of the European Corporate Governance Institute
- Member of the European Law Institute (ELI)
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars
- Member of the Centre for Commercial Law and Financial Regulation (CCLFR)
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the 'Law and Economics Yearly Review' (ISSN 2050-9014)
- Member of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London
- Italian Qualified Lawyer, Member of the Council of Rome
- Journalist, Member of the Council of Rome
- Goncharenko, I. A. and Miglionico, A. (2020) Artificial intelligence and automation in financial services: the case of Russian banking sector. Law and Economics Yearly Review, 8 (1). pp. 125-147. ISSN 2050-9014
- Miglionico, A. (2020) The great lockdown: the UK regulatory responses to the pandemic crisis. Law and Economics Yearly Review, 9 (1). pp. 94-111. ISSN 2050-9014
- Miglionico, A. (2019) The SSM and the prudential regime of non-performing loans. In: Lo Schiavo, G. (ed.) The European Banking Union and the Role of Law. Elgar Financial Law Series. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, pp. 197-214. ISBN 9781788972017 doi: https://doi.org/10.4337/9781788972024.00017
- Miglionico, A. (2019) The governance of credit rating agencies. Regulatory regimes and liability issues. Elgar Financial Law and Practice series. Edward Elgar Publishing, pp360. ISBN 9781786439932
- Miglionico, A. (2019) Restructuring non-performing loans for bank recovery: private workouts and securitisation mechanisms. European Company and Financial Law Review, 16 (6). pp. 746-770. ISSN 1613-2556 doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/ecfr-2019-0026
- Miglionico, A. (2019) The disclosure regime of credit rating agencies: an obscure veil of compliance? Journal of Business Law, 4. pp. 262-281. ISSN 0021-9460
- Miglionico, A. (2019) The restructuring of Monte dei Paschi di Siena. A controversial case in the EU bank resolution regime. European Business Law Review, 30 (3). pp. 469-485. ISSN 0959-6941
- Miglionico, A. (2018) Rescuing failing banks for financial stability: the unintended outcomes of bail-in rules. International Company and Commercial Law Review, 29 (10). pp. 608-617.
- Bholat, D., Lastra, R. M., Markose, S. M., Miglionico, A. and Sen, K. (2018) Non-performing loans at the dawn of IFRS 9: regulatory and accounting treatment of asset quality. Journal of Banking Regulation, 19 (1). pp. 33-54. ISSN 1745-6452 doi: https://doi.org/10.1057/s41261-017-0058-8
- Govindarajan Driver, D. and Miglionico, A. (2016) Rethinking financial regulation: an appraisal of regulatory approaches in the UK and EU. Law and Economics Yearly Review, 5 (1). pp. 98-124. ISSN 2050-9014
- Miglionico, A. (2019) Restructuring Non-Performing Loans for Bank Recovery: Private Workouts and Securitisation Mechanisms. European Company and Financial Law Review, 16(6), pp. 746-770, ISSN 1613-2548, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/ecfr-2019-0026.
- The Governance of Credit Rating Agencies. Regulatory Regimes and Liability Issues (Edward Elgar, Law and Practice Series 2019).
- The Banking and Financial Arbitrator between iurisdictio and strengthening of the supervision function, European Business Law Review, 2012, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 333-346, ISSN 0959-6941
- Making credit rating agencies accountable: Is estoppel a possible solution? Business Law Review, 2013, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 166-173, ISSN 0143-6295
- Market failure or regulatory failure? The paradoxical position of credit ratings agencies, Oxford Capital Markets Law Journal, 2014, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 194-211, ISSN 1750-7219
- The House of Lords report on the post-crisis EU regulatory framework: where does the UK stand? Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, May 2015, pp. 1-5, ISSN: 0269-2694
- Non-performing loans: regulatory and accounting treatments of assets, Bank of England Staff Working Paper No 594, April 2016.
- Rethinking financial regulation: an appraisal of regulatory approaches in the UK and EU, Law and Economics Yearly Review, 2016, Vol. 5, No 1.
- The Impact of FinTech on Securities and Secured Transactions, Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation, 2016, Issue 12.
- Restructuring Failing Banks for Economic Recovery: In Search of an International Insolvency Regime, International Corporate Rescue, 2017, Vol. 14, n. 5, ISSN: 1572-4638.
- Rules-based vs. principles-based regulation in the UK banking sector. Does Brexit matter?, Law and Economics Yearly Review, 2017, Vol. 6, No 1.
- Non-performing loans at the dawn of IFRS 9: Regulatory and Accounting Treatment of Asset Quality, Journal of Banking Regulation, 2018, n. 1.
- Insurance Companies, in Italian Banking and Financial Law, Vol II: Supervisory Authorities and Supervision, Palgrave Macmillan, Studies in Banking and Financial Institutions, 2015, pp. 81-99, ISBN: 978-1-137-50755-6
- Reinsurance Business, in Italian Banking and Financial Law, Vol III: Intermediaries and Markets, Palgrave Macmillan, Studies in Banking and Financial Institutions, 2015, pp. 193-211, ISBN: 978-1-137-50758-7
- Non-performing Loans: Challenges and Options for Banks and Corporations, in "Resolving Private Sector Insolvency: The Experience from the EU Periphery and the Case of Greece", Palgrave 2017, ISBN: 978-3-319-50312-7.
- Co-Investigator in the ESRC Research Grant (ES/S010416/1), 'Technology Driven Change and Next Generation Insurance Value Chains' (2018-20)
- Principal Investigator in the British Academy Leverhulme Small Research Grants SRG 2017 Round scheme
- Modern Law Review Scholarship (2014)
- Queen Mary, University of London Postgraduate Research Funds (2013)
Research Projects/Public Engagement
- Member of the research team co-led by Dr David Bholat from Bank of England and Prof. Rosa Lastra from Queen Mary University of London on the project: 'The Legal Treatment of Non-performing Loans'. Co-funded by Bank of England, Queen Mary University of London and University of Essex. Motivation of this research is to address an intellectual gap since there is no consensus on the meaning of nonperforming loans across countries, firms or even within firms (different data definitions depending on subsidiary and business line)
- Member of the research team co-led by John Taylor, Prof. Roy Goode, Prof. Rodrigo Olivares-Caminal and Prof. Rosa Lastra from Queen Mary University of London on the project: 'Commercial and company law and sustainable development'. Funded by the Commonwealth Secretariat. Motivation of this research is to review key areas of commercial and company law that are relevant to sustainable development. It does so with a view to providing conclusions and recommendations that represent a starting point for Commonwealth member countries when engaging with law reform and strengthening in the area of commercial law
- Member of the research team co-led by Prof. Louise Gullifer (Oxford), Prof. Hugh Beale QC (Warwick), The Hon Mr Justice Blair, Prof. Roy Goode, Sarah Patterson (LSE), Georgia Quenby (Reed Smith), Edward Murray (Allen & Overy), Alan Newton (Freshfields), Nick Segal (Freshfields) and Dr. Magda Raczynska (UCL) on the project: 'Transactions Law Reform Project'. Motivation of this research is to identify the key issues in the debate on the reform of the English law of secured transactions
- Speaker at the conference 'Disruptive Innovation and Law: Evolution Towards A Tech-Law World', Brunel University, London, 13 September 2019.
- Speaker at the Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference, University of Lancashire, Preston, 3-4 September 2019.
- Speaker at the Oxford Royale Academy on 'The relationship between law and digital technologies in the international perspective', organised by the University of Oxford, 25 July 2019.
- Speaker at the LJMU FinTech, AI and the Law conference, Liverpool John Moores University, 20 June 2019.
- Chair at the session on Corporate Law at the 'EU-China Legal and Judicial Cooperation' (EUPLANT) Conference organised by the Centre for European and International Law (CEILA) and the Centre for Law and Society in a Global Context (CLSGC) at Queen Mary University of London, 11 June 2019.
- Speaker at the 6th Annual Sino-UK Conference on Commercial Law and Economics "UK and China after Brexit. Will anything change?", organised by the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS), Queen Mary, University of London, the Tsinghua University Law School and Renmin University Law School, 7 June 2019.
- Organizer and Coordinator of the Conference: 'The Impact of Regulation on Insolvency. Latest Trends in Corporate and Bank Restructuring & Resolution', University of Reading, School of Law, 18 May 2016.
- Public Lecture: 'Regulatory Treatment of Non-performing Loans: Legal Issues', University of Minho, School of Law, Braga, Portugal, 31 October 2017.
- The Development of Bond Markets in China: Risks and Challenges, presentation delivered at the Symposium on the Internationalization of the RMB Risks and Challenges Ahead, Queen Mary University of London, 27 June 2017.
- 'The Disclosure Regime of Credit Rating Agencies: An Obscure Veil of Compliance?' paper presented at the QMUL-SMU Research Forum, London, 8 June 2017.
- Speaker at the International Programme of the Paris Bar School (EFB), 31 May 2017.
- Speaker at the Roundtable 'Is Bail-in the answer to All of our Problems?: A Multi-jurisdictional Approach', Queen Mary, University of London, 17 March 2017.
- Speaker in the Panel on 'The advantages of an effective insolvency law to facilitate the resolution of non-performing loans', Restructuring Conference, Banque de France, Paris, 28 October 2016
- 'Global Financial Integration', seminar delivered at the New York University, Stern School of Business (London campus), London, 26 April 2016
- 'Financial Innovation and the Role of Credit Rating Agencies', seminar delivered at the New York University, Stern School of Business (London campus), London, 12 April 2016
- 'Nonperforming loans: Regulatory and accounting treatments of assets' (co-presented with Prof. Rosa Lastra, Dr. David Bholat, Dr. Kallol Sen and Prof. Sheri Markose), London Financial Regulation Seminar, LSE, 9 November 2015
- 'Cross-Border Bank Insolvency and Resolution: Regulatory Responses to Financial Crisis' (co-presented with Prof. Rodrigo Olivares-Caminal), Seminar at Deutsche Bank, Birmingham, 5 November 2015
- 'Nonperforming loans: Regulatory and accounting treatments of assets', EBA seminar on data needs for risk analysis purposes, Speaker in the Panel on asset quality risk indicators, London, 2 October 2015
- Speaker at the Fifth Banking Law Symposium on 'Multinational Banking: Capturing the Benefits and Avoiding the Pitfalls', Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary, University of London, 10 September 2015
- 'Recasting credit rating agencies' responsibility: reform suggestions', Centre for Commercial Law Studies Seminars: New Voices in Commercial Law, Queen Mary, University of London, 6 November 2014
- 'Bank Resolution and Insolvency', lecture delivered at the LLM Programme, Queen Mary University of London (module of International Insolvency and Debt Restructuring), Paris campus, 16 June 2014
- 'Mapping the liability contours for credit rating agencies: a step forward in the regulation of financial markets', Presentation delivered at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London, Postgraduate Legal Research Conference 2014, London, 5 June 2014
- Ph.D. in Law (2016); Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary, University of London. Thesis in Regulation of Financial Markets: 'Recasting credit rating agencies' responsibility: suggestions for reform'
- LL.M. Master of Laws in Banking Law and Financial Regulation (2009); London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Law
- Ph.D. in European Financial Services Law (2009); University of Rome "Roma Tre", Faculty of Law
- Master in International Business Law with distinction (2005); University of Rome "La Sapienza", Faculty of Economics
- BA degree in Law with distinction (2004); University of Rome "La Sapienza", School of Law