Dr Mondira Bhattacharya
Field survey research
Data management & analysis
Areas of interest
- Agriculture and rural economy with special reference to India and other low- and middle-income countries
- Food and nutritional security
- Agricultural innovation and agricultural technology adoption
- India's employment guarantee scheme (MGNREGA)
- Gender dimensions of agriculture and employment
- Economics of crop cultivation, rural incomes, livelihoods and agrarian distress
- Global Issues in Nutrition and Health - AP3A105/IDM098
Research centres and groups
- GCRF project on ‘Do microplastics undermine food security and sustainable development in developing countries?’, with Bangor University, UK and case study partners in China, Vietnam, Egypt, Sri Lanka and India.
- KfW Bank sponsored project on ‘Zero Budget Natural Farming’ (ZBNF) in Andhra Pradesh, India.
Mondira is an interdisciplinary social scientist working on issues of agriculture and rural development and policy implications on the concerned farmer segment, especially in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs). A Geographer by training she specialises in field based research, large data management and analysis and works with both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. Mondira joined SAPD as Postdoctoral researcher in March 2020 and worked on projects that focused on food security and health among rural adolescents in India and Nepal (GCRF) and knowledge exchange and economic evaluation of autonomous robots in the soft fruit sector in UK (Innovate UK). Her current research on ‘Plasticulture’ and ‘Zero budget natural farming’ spans several LMICs such as Egypt, India, China, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. She also takes lectures on agrarian issues, nutrition security and research methodology. Before joining the University of Reading, she had worked for non-profit organisations in India for several years in various capacities. She was Assistant Professor at the Council for Social Development (CSD), New Delhi. Here she was the principal investigator in several rural development research projects. Before CSD, she worked at the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) as Associate Fellow where she was involved in preparing ‘Agricultural Outlook and Situation Analysis Reports’ for the National Food Security Mission (NFSM), Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India. During her PhD, she also worked as Junior Consultant, Ecological Economics at the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) in New Delhi.
Mondira has a PhD in Economic Geography from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Awards and honoursHer PhD on the topic 'Basmati Rice Cultivation in India under a Globalised Trade Regime', was awarded in 2009 and was supported by the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) fellowship.
- Rose, D. and Bhattacharya, M. (2023) Adoption of autonomous robots in the soft fruit sector: grower perspectives in the UK. Smart Agricultural Technology , 3 ISSN: 2772-3755 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atech.2022.100118
- Picchioni, F. , Zanello, G. ORCID: 0000-0002-0477-1385 , Bhattacharya, M. , Gowdru, N. , Srinivasan, C. (2022) Towards more comprehensive analyses of the Nutrition Transition among adolescents in the rural South: an empirical contribution. In: Kevany, K. and Prosperi, P. , (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Diets. Routledge Environment and Sustainability Handbooks Routledge , London. pp. 200-216. ISBN: 9781032004860 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781003174417-21
- Pankaj, A. and Bhattacharya, M. (2022) Income and livelihood promotion through individual assets under MGNREGS. Economic and Political Weekly , 57 (4). ISSN: 2349-8846
- Rose, D. , Bhattacharya, M. , de Boon, A. , Dhulipala, R. , Price, C. , Schillings, J. (2021) The fourth agricultural revolution: past, present, and future. In: Sage, C. , (eds.) A Research Agenda for Food Systems. Edward Elgar Publishing ISBN: 9781800880252
- Pankaj, A. and Bhattacharya, M. (2020) MGNREGS and rural labour market in India. In: Mishra, N. , (eds.) Development Challenges of India After Twenty Five Years of Economic Reforms. India Studies in Business and Economics Springer pp. 247-259. ISSN: 2198-0012 ISBN: 9789811582646 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-8265-3_13
- Bhattacharya, M. and Goyal, A. (2019) Food security & sustainable agriculture in India. In: Rangachar, G. and Poornima, M. , (eds.) India's Social Sector and SDGs: Problems and Prospects. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise ISSN: 1988-5202 ISBN: 9780367341824 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9780367341824-9
- Pankaj, A. and Bhattacharya, M. (2017) Socio-economic impacts of 'Category-B' assets under MGNREGS. Council for Social Development , New Delhi, India. ISBN: 9789353214401
- Bhattacharya, M. (2017) Food security in India – issues and concerns. In: Sacher, A. , Kaushik, T. , Index was outside the bounds of the array. , (eds.) 4th International Case Conclave ELIXIR. Bloomsbury ISBN: 9789386950918
- Bhattacharya, M. and Goyal, A. (2017) Trends, patterns and drivers of rural female workforce participation. Social Change , 47 (4). pp. 526-551. ISSN: 0049-0857 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0049085717730236
- Bhattacharya, M. (2016) Status of the irrigation sector in India. Agricultural Situation in India , 73 (5). pp. 35-51.
- Bhattacharya, M. (2016) Nature and extent of yield gaps in principal crops in India. In: Kumar, P. and Mohanakumar, S. , (eds.) Indian Agriculture: Performance, Growth and Challenges. Essays in Honour of Ramesh Kumar Sharma. Taylor & Francis ISBN: 9781315659589 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781315659589
- Haque, T. , Bhattacharya, M. , Goyal, A. (2015) Socio-Economic Impact Assessment of BT Cotton in India. Concept Publishing Company ISBN: 9789351251132
- Bhattacharya, M. (2015) Status of rural female employment in India. In: Haque, T. , (eds.) Empowerment of rural women in developing countries: challenges and pathways. Concept Publishing Company ISBN: 9789351251095
- Bhattacharya, M. (2011) Economic analysis of yield gaps in principal crops in India. Agricultural Situation in India , 68 (5).
- Bhattacharya, M. (2011) Spatio-temporal analysis of Indian Basmati rice trade and its comparison with Pakistan. Foreign Trade Review , 46 (2). pp. 86-107. ISSN: 0015-7325 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0015732515110203