Welcome to the Staff Forum
Pictured: Employee Representatives attend ACAS training and meet the Vice-Chancellor. April 2018
In 2014, the Staff Forum was created to ensure opportunities for staff on grades 1-5 to hear about and discuss matters that affect their working experience. With recent agreement from the University Executive Board, the Staff Forum has expanded to further the flow of information and communication to staff on all grades.
The Staff Forum is not a trade union. The University of Reading has a formal recognition agreement with the University and College Union (UCU), which gives them the sole bargaining rights for staff on grades 6 and above.
Staff Welfare Projects
Colleagues who proposed their ideas for funded welfare projects have been meeting with Employee Representatives and professional colleagues from around the University. Discussions are helping to turn their ideas into realised projects. More information has been added to the Staff Welfare Projects area of the site.
We have created a separate area of the website to explain and follow the progress of, the development of ideas from colleagues for projects to improve staff welfare. It can be found in the menu to the left.
What does the Staff Forum do?
- Meets formally with senior management on a termly basis
- Representatives bring ideas, questions and concerns to the meetings, updating on matters which are affecting staff in their working lives at the University.
- We can influence and challenge management on staff related matters.
- Take an active role in discussing issues and seeking practical solutions
- Comment on University proposals. We are the University's representatives for providing information and consultation on matters that may affect staff on Grades 1 -5 and now to provide information to staff G6 + as well.
Support on offer
Feedback in the 2017 Staff Survey highlighted a limited awareness of support on offer to colleagues, The Staff Forum can direct you to a range of available resources. If you have a question, please contact us.
Highlighting the EAP
EAP is the Employee Assistance Programme which is currently run by Confidential Care and provides a wide range of personal services to staff. This can be used by all staff and close family members. The service they provide covers debt, legal and personal problems and offers manager support as well as a counselling service. Check them out so you know what is offered. You can phone, email or contact them via the Live chat facility.
For advice and support please contact:
- Tel: 0118 378 5796