Internal, open access

Vehicle insurance and regulations

car pic for travel page

University of Reading Certificate of Motor Insurance

Please note

  • Driving your own vehicle on the business of the University is not covered under the University Motor Insurance
  • You should check with your own insurance provider that you have cover for business use
  • The University provides comprehensive motor insurance for its own and hires in vehicles

The rules around claiming expenses for driving your own car on the business of the University of Reading can be found in Chapter 4 of the University Expenses and Hospitality Policy (PDF-596KB)

Vehicle hire insurance

Under our new insurance arrangements for motor insurance, hired vehicles are covered at no charge.

Driver regulations

Anyone with a valid UK driving licence may drive University vehicles or hired in vehicles on University business as allowed by their licence within the conditions of UK law. The only exception to this rule is the driving of Minibuses on University business. For the University's rules governing the driving of minibuses please see the Minibus regulations page.

The University's motor insurance does not apply to anyone driving their own vehicle on university business.

Please contact your own Motor Insurance Provider to ensure you are covered to use your own vehicle for business travel.

If you hold a drivers licence which was issued abroad you should visit the Advice Guide website for the current law on driving in the UK.

Please contact the Insurance Officer on 8309 with any difficulties.

Minibus regulations

Please see the separate Minibus regulations page 


Driving for work policy

Please click on the link below for more information on our driving for work policy.




Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists