Mr Richard Sherwood
Richard has been working at the University since 1990 as a technician in the Infrared Multilayer Laboratory. During his time at the Laboratory he has worked on many international space and astronomy projects and been co-author of a number of journal publications.
His primary role in the laboratory is to be responsible for all quality assurance activities, including spectral and environmental testing of optical components, overseeing the laboratory quality documents, and maintaining the laboratory information management system. He is also responsible for maintaining the laboratory health and safety and COSHH documents, and is responsible for a number of administrative duties including purchasing and laboratory/project budgeting.
Richard has been presented with an award from the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) for his extraordinary contributions to the Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) on the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) Observatory. The James Webb Space Telescope Significant Achievement Award is in recognition of his extraordinary contribution to the JWST mission.
During my time working in the Infrared Multilayer Laboratory, I have worked on many international space and astronomy projects - a selection of which are listed below.
- Gemini Texas Echelon Cross Echelle Spectrograph (TEXES), Mid-Infrared Spectrometer Filters
- NASA Large Binocular Telescope Interferometer (LBTI) Nulling Infrared Camera Beam Diverter Trichroic
- ESO VLT Imager and Spectrometer for mid Infrared (VISIR) Flange Module Dichroic
- ESA Atmospheric Remote-sensing Exoplanet Large-survey (ARIEL) Dichroic Feasibility Study
- EUMETSAT Meteosat Third Generation Cold Optics Demonstrator Dichroics
- ESA Copernicus Sea and Land Surface Temperature Radiometer (SLSTR), Model C/D
- Gimballed Limb Observer for Radiance Imaging of the Atmosphere (GLORIA)
- UKSA TechDemoSat-1 Compact Modular Sounder (CMS)
- EUMETSAT Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer - Next Generation
- ESA Exoplanet Characterisation Observatory (EChO)
- ESO VLT Imager and Spectrometer for mid Infrared (VISIR) Upgrade
- NASA/DLR Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA)
- NASA/ESA ExoMars Climate Sounder (EMCS) Development Study
- ESA Living Planet EarthCARE Multi-Spectral Imager (MSI)
- ESA Copernicus Sea and Land Surface Temperature Radiometer (SLSTR), Model A/B
- NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO)
- NASA/ESA James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI)
- ISRO SAC Indian National Satellite (INSAT-3D) Radiometer
- NASA Mars Climate Sounder (MCS)
- ESO VISIR Astronomical Filter Consortium
- GTC CanariCam Imaging Spectrograph Filters
- UKIRT/Gemini Michelle, Mid-Infrared Spectrometer and Imager
- ISRO INSAT-2 Very High Resolution Radiometer (VHRR)
- ESA ENVISAT Advanced Along Track Scanning Radiometer (AATSR)
- NASA CASSINI Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS)
- NASA EOS-AURA High Resolution Dynamics Limb Sounder (HIRDLS)