ESA Living Planet EarthCARE Multi-Spectral Imager (MSI)
2009 - 2012
EarthCARE is ESA's Clouds Aerosols and Radiation Explorer mission. It is a joint mission in collaboration with the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency. The satellite will carry a payload of four instruments of which MSI is one. The four instruments will operate synergistically with the aim of providing a better understanding of clouds and aerosols and their impact on Earth's climatology. An important feature of the mission is that its instruments will make, for the first time, near simultaneous measurements of the same cloud/aerosol scene. The MSI instrument is a 7-band downward looking scanner with a complex optical system which is being designed to provide images of clouds and data on cloud types, texture and temperature distribution. Infrared filters, beamsplitters and antireflection lenses will be employed in the instrument to define and isolate the wavelength bands of interest which are key components to the instrument performance.
The University of Reading are responsible for the spectral design and fabrication of the thermal infrared camera filters, dichroic beamsplitter filters and dielectric reflectors.
|Description||Filter Type||Quantity||Wavelength Region||Substrate Material||Dimensions|
|TIR Camera Filters||Narrow Bandpass Filters||3 channels||8 - 13 µm||Zinc Selenide (ZnSe)||80 mm L x 10 mm W x 4 mm T|
|TIR Camera Dichroics||Longwave-pass edge filters||2 channels||8 - 13 µm||Zinc Selenide (ZnSe)||120 mm L x 10 mm W x 4 mm T|
|TIR Camera Mirrors||Dielectric reflector||4 channels||8 - 13 µm||Zinc Selenide (ZnSe)||120 mm L x 10 mm W x 4 mm T|
- G J Hawkins, D Woods, R E Sherwood, K Djotni : "Infrared optical coatings for the EarthCARE Multispectral Imager", Applied Optics, Vol. 53, Issue 27, pp. 6983-6992 (2014)
- ESA's cloud, aerosol and radiation mission - November 7, 2011
- Europe's Earthcare space laser mission gets go ahead - February 18, 2011
- EarthCARE MSI moves ahead - June 7, 2011
- New imager will help climate modelling - May 28, 2008
- EarthCARE satellite contract signed - May 27, 2008