Mycar salary exchange scheme
Mycar is the low-cost, hassle-free, scheme which allows UoR employees and their family members to drive a brand new car for 2 or 3 years for an all-inclusive fixed monthly cost to suit your budget, with no deposit or upfront payment required. All you have to do is add fuel and go!
Recognising that for many employees there is no viable alternative to commuting to work by car, the scheme supports the University’s sustainable travel plan by encouraging staff to drive more energy-efficient cars with low emissions. You will be able to choose from a range of electric, hybrid, diesel or petrol vehicles up to 130 grams of CO2 per kilometre.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Access to competitive vehicle deals, at lower rates than those generally available to members of the public
- Scheduled servicing and maintenance
- Breakdown assistance
- Fully comprehensive motor insurance included for you and up to 3 named drivers
- Road fund licence (VED) costs
- Accident management service with courtesy car option
- No deposit or credit checks required
- 24 and 36 month contract terms available
- Flexible contract mileage options available
- Low early scheme termination costs
- Online car quotation, ordering and service booking system
- Dedicated mycar help desk team (available 9:00am to 5:30pm Mon-Fri)
- Tax advice helpline
The University reserves the right to amend or discontinue the provision of this benefit should the University determine that it is appropriate for it to do so taking into account such matters as it may determine relevant from time to time including changes to UK tax legislation.
Who is the provider?
The mycar salary sacrifice car scheme is provided by Zenith.
How do I join?
You can join the scheme at any point throughout the year. You can obtain new vehicle quotes and further information on the scheme via the mycar scheme website, https://uor.zenithmycar.co.uk. You will need to enter the company code: Univers1ty.
Alternatively, contact Zenith on 0370 732 4415, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can join the scheme?
To be eligible to participate in the mycar Car Benefit Scheme you will have to:
- Have worked for the University for a minimum of 12 months (earlier eligibility to participate in the scheme is at the discretion of the Director of Human Resources)
- Be in substantive employment and that the amount of salary exchanged will not take you below the National Living Wage/National Minimum Wage. Employees on fixed-term contracts must ensure that their contract covers the length of the lease period.
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Have at least one years' driving experience with a full UK/EC/EEA driving licence
What happens if I leave UoR?
If you leave UoR and have a mycar scheme vehicle the potential options are:
- Buy the car outright from Leasedrive
- Return the car to Leasedrive and pay any redemption costs
If you do decide to leave the mycar Car Benefit Scheme early, you cannot re-join the scheme until the anniversary of the original termination date.
What can I save?
The cost of ordering a car through the mycar scheme can be substantially lower than alternative methods of obtaining a new car.
mycar provides cost savings in a number of ways including:
- Reducing your income tax and national insurance payments because you pay for the car via salary sacrifice
- Accessing the combined buying power of UoR and Zenith
- Reducing your motoring costs by offering low CO2 emitting, fuel efficient cars
- Providing additional services included within the fixed monthly cost of the car
- No deposit or upfront payments to make when ordering the car
With the mycar scheme the provision of the car makes you liable to a car benefit tax charge, which is known as benefit in kind tax, based on the vehicle chosen. The benefit in kind tax will be collected by a tax code change.
Changes following Autumn Statement 2016
The Government announced reforms to the tax treatment to certain benefits provided through salary sacrifice arrangements which come into effect from 6th April 2017. The key points that apply to the mycar scheme are outlined below:
1. If you currently have a car through the scheme, your agreement is protected until the earlier of:
a. a variation to your contract, the contract end, or renewal,
b. 5th April 2021
2. If you place an order with a signed agreement dated before 5th April 2017, it will be protected under the current taxation rules. You do not need to have taken delivery of the car before 6th April 2017.
Ultra-low Emission Cars
Cars with 75g/km of CO2 emission or less, also known as ULEVs (Ultra Low Emission Vehicles), ordered after 6th April 2017 are exempt from the changes and will continue to receive the full savings and benefit.
Tax changes after 6th April 2017
There are some tax changes for cars with emission levels over 75g CO2 per kilometre, but the impact will vary according to the make and model selected. You will still benefit from National Insurance savings on the amount salary sacrificed, but there will be a difference in the amount of tax payable.
If you need help or advice, please give Zenith a call on 0370 732 4415 and choose option 1 for tax advice from RSM, or e-mail at email@example.com.
If you have any queries please contact:
Claire Eckett, HR Manager (Reward & Benefits) at firstname.lastname@example.org
or the Zenith Help Desk on 0370 732 4415, or via email at email@example.com.