University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Sessional lecturers

It is recognised that there may be occasions when a "regular" appointment as Lecturer may not be appropriate; this will occur typically when a Department has been awarded a sum of money to make a temporary, part-time appointment to fill a teaching gap between a previous post holder leaving and his or her replacement being appointed or for a short course.

In these ad hoc cases, where teaching duties only are expected and not the full range or academic input, it will be possible to send a request to HR Operations to offer a contract of employment as a Temporary/Part-Time Lecturer. Such appointments are sometimes known as Sessional appointments. The salaries for these appointments are derived by the Department on an ad hoc basis but are usually expressed in the contract at a per annum rate for simplicity of payment; such payments are not expressed in relation to points on the regular salary scales.

The Head of School/Department should submit an SRF in the usual way detailing the hourly rate of pay and if a re-appointment, the name of the person they wish to appoint to that role.

If it is a new appointment, the Head of School or Department should also source a completed Application for Employment form from the individual and pass it to the HR Operations team. References should be taken up and qualifications checked by the Head of School or Department.

Where the payment is to be a "one-off" arrangement for a single piece of work carried out at one moment in time, payment may requested on the relevant claim form to be submitted to the Payroll Office. However, where there is any regularity or on-going nature of work a contract of employment must be issued by Human Resources. If it becomes apparent that an individual is receiving a series of one-off payments Human Resources will consider whether a contract of employment should be issued. In case of doubt, please contact Human Resources at an early date.

Visiting lecturer appointments

Where a Visiting Lecturer has carried out a single piece of work at one moment in time a Department may request that this be paid on a "one-off" basis by means of the relevant claim form, Visiting Lecturer Claim Form, rather than following the acceptance of a formal offer of a contract of employment issued by Human Resources.

Because of the need to ensure that the person is bona fide and that the requirements of the Asylum and Immigration Act are complied with it has been decided that the following requirements should be met before the form is passed for payment:

For staff previously employed by the University

The National Insurance number of the person who is to be paid must be entered on the claim form.

For new members of staff

The Visiting Lecturer Claim Form must have the National Insurance number entered and have attached to it:

  • original documentary evidence of this number (confirmed by a P45, a payslip, a P60, a NI card or a letter from a Government body which states the name and NI number


  • original documentary evidence from JobCentre Plus that an NI number has been applied for and quoted the temporary number issued.

Please note that payment will not normally be made unless one or other of these requirements is satisfied.

  1. It is up to Heads of School/Department to carry out the necessary checks on qualifications and references as are appropriate in the circumstances and Heads of School/Department are requested to confirm on the form that this has been done.
  2. If the work has been carried out by a non-EC student and more than twenty hours work have been carried out in a week he or she needs to obtain .

A copy of the form should be sent to the Payroll Office in the first instance.

If it becomes apparent that an individual is receiving a series of one-off payments Human Resources will consider whether a contract of employment should be issued.