Selection and Appointment of School Directors of Research and School Directors of PGR Studies
In the current HE environment, the SDOR and SDPGRS roles contribute substantially to the ongoing success of the School. It is therefore essential that we appoint those best qualified for the roles, ensuring that they have appropriate experience, knowledge, skills and attributes (including leadership). It is also important, given the University's HR strategy, that the appointment process for both positions is fair, transparent, and in line with our Equality and Diversity policy. Furthermore, once appointed, post-holders should be provided with appropriate support and development opportunities.
To achieve this, it is recommended that;
- The relevant Head of School remains responsible for the appointment of the SDOR and SDPGRS;
- Based on the University-wide job descriptions for SDOR and SDPGRS, and the leadership behaviours embedded in Values for Working Together and Professional Behaviours, the Head of School draws up a job description for the relevant role, specifying any particular aspects of the role as required in their School;
- Where feasible, between 3 and 6 months before the current incumbent is due to step down, the Head of School should invite members of academic staff within the School to submit a formal expression of interest for the role;
- The Head of School should establish a small Appointments Panel, comprising key individuals normally from within their School;
- The Appointments Panel interviews interested (or short-listed where there is significant interest in the post) candidates, and makes a recommendation to the Head of School;
- The selected individual be appointed, normally, for a three-year tenure in the first instance;
- Appointments normally commence from 1 August;
- The Head of School informs the University Secretary, and either the office of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research (for SDOR posts) or the Graduate School (for SDPGRS posts).
Appropriate remuneration will be agreed in accordance with agreed policy, as determined by Staffing Committee.
Support and Development
Before taking up the post, new appointees should be invited to discuss the role with the relevant Faculty Director of Research (for SDOR posts) or University Director of PGR Studies (for SDPGRS posts).
In taking up the post, the new appointee agrees to attend the relevant termly SDOR / SDPGRS workshops and other related events, as well as the relevant Faculty Committee meetings.
- View the Recruitment web pages
- View further information on the selection and appointment of School Directors of Research and School Directors of PGR Studies (pdf - 146KB)