Leadership Development for BAME Staff
The University sponsors a number of places for BAME academic and professional colleagues on three, external leadership development programmes, each of which has a different area of focus, accommodating all levels of leadership.
Previous delegates have reported how the programmes combine BAME-specific perspectives on leadership with guest speakers, group discussions and self-reflection to support career progression strategies.
Colleagues can choose from one of three programmes, outlined below. These are advertised in October each year.
1. Diversifying Leadership from Advance HE
The programme is aimed at early career academics and professional services staff, up to and below Associate Professor/ Grade 8, who are about to take their first step into applying for a senior role or aspire to a leadership role.
Concepts explored on the programme include leadership theory, cultural identity, and power and influence, as well as individual goal setting and action planning to support participants in applying their learning post-programme. This aims to build a more diverse leadership pipeline by equipping emerging leaders with the skills to navigate organisational culture with a clearer perspective on their own potential, building confidence, feeling empowered and expanding their professional strengths..
The programme comprises three one-day online workshops, two facilitated online action learning sets and access to online resources as part of the programme.
2. StellarHE from The Diversity Practice
This programme is aimed at colleagues who are already in a middle to senior leadership position, who aspire to a more senior position and whose role enables institutional change.
The programme places authenticity and diversity as a distinct leadership strength at the core of leadership that delivers lasting impact and results. It blends a variety of learning approaches including leadership diagnostics, facilitated dialogue, experiential activities, reflective practice and coaching.
The programme comprises eight days of online workshops (two workshops per day, each of two hours), one workshop for managers, two individual coaching sessions and access to an Online Learning Platform.
3. Mandala from People Opportunities in conjunction with Royal Holloway, University of London
The Mandala Programme is an innovative, evidence based and paradigm-shifting programme that supports the career and personal development of BAME staff seeking promotion into senior roles at Higher Education Institutions. The programme is applicable for both existing leaders and people who are ready to move into a leadership role. Mandala helps individuals to explore:
- Your career aspirations and options
- How to think strategically about creating and accessing opportunities
- The strength, resilience and power in your personal history and what this means for your career development
- Your authority and presence as a leader and how you can become even more impactful through ‘being you skilfully'
- How you can influence others and develop effective and meaningful relationships
- Your career and personal development as a leader and strategies for achieving success.
The programme runs over five, one day modules, is managed by Royal Holloway College, University of London and delivered by external facilitators.