Our world-leading experts will take you on a journey through Britain, Europe, Africa, America, the Middle East and South Asia over the last thousand years.
Our degree courses are highly flexible and offer a thorough grounding in different historical periods and approaches, allowing you the freedom to explore and develop your specific areas of interest. Immerse yourself in history and explore diverse societies, incredible cultures and compelling individuals.
high quality Teaching
- We are ranked in the top 150 in the world for History, Philosophy and Theology. (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021)
- We are ranked in the top 25 universities in the UK for History. (Complete University Guide 2022)
- 93% of our History graduates are in work and/or study 15 months after the end of their course. (Graduate Outcomes Survey 2017/18; First Degree responders from History).
The 2021 National Student Survey results are out and 89% of our students agreed that the BA History course is intellectually stimulating and provided them with opportunities to explore ideas and concepts in depth.
Watch BA History student George talk about why he loves studying in the Department of History.
"I met amazing people, both academically and personally, while studying at Reading. The friends I made are truly friends for life and my lecturers are very approachable and encouraged me to nurture my passion.”
Exceptional range of modules
Our extensive range of optional modules exposes you to a vast breadth of history, both geographically and chronologically, enabling you to explore your interests as they develop.
practical experience while you study
Our courses offer you the chance to gain practical experience in a range of fields, within the structure of your degree.
varied teaching and learning methods
We cultivate a dynamic learning environment, encouraging our students to develop their own informed critical analyses.
The building blocks for a successful career
Throughout your degree you will have the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and experience valued by employers in a variety of fields.
Discover another corner of the world
Build travel into your studies and choose to study abroad.
- BA History
- BA History with Foundation
- BA Ancient History and History
- BA Archaeology and History
- BA History and Economics
- BA History and English Literature
- BA History and International Relations
- BA History and Philosophy
- BA History and Politics
- BA French and History (2021 entry)
- BA German and History (2021 entry)
- BA Italian and History (2021 entry)
- BA Spanish and History (2021 entry)
- BA Modern Languages and History (2022 entry)
- BA Classical Studies and Medieval Studies
Looking for 2021/22 courses?
If you would like to start studying History at the University of Reading in 2021, please view our 2021/22 undergraduate courses.
Interested in studying History?
We'd love to discuss your options with you at our next Open Day. Our team are on hand to answer questions and help you decide if our undergraduate course would suit you.