All work with biological agents or material in the University must be carried out in accordance with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (as amended). This includes both deliberate work with biological agents such as hazardous bacteria or viruses or working with materials which may contain biological agents such a human or animal blood, tissue or biofluids.
All activities involving biological agents or material must be risk assessed, and where appropriate approved by the Sub-Committee for Biological Safety (see section 4 of Safety Code of Practice 14 part 1 for further information).
For genetically modified organisms see Genetic Modification
Biological Safety (Part 6) Microbiological Safety Cabinets (revised 2012)
Useful information & links
- ACDP Approved List of Biological Agents (revised 2013)
- Organisms and toxins on the AntiTerrorism Crime and Security Act - Schedule 5 (revised 2013)
- SAPO Notifiable Pathogens (revised 2013)
- Importation of Animal Pathogens/By Products - http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/pathogens/
- Useful HSE links:
- The management, design and operation of microbiological containment laboratories - http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/microbio-cont.htm
Who can I contact about Biological work?
Health and Safety Services
Jonathan Ridgeon - Scientific Safety Advisor: