To call an ambulance:
- Dial 999 (from an internal phone, add the prefix 0 or 9 to obtain an external line)
- Ask for the ambulance service. Be prepared to give details of: the nature of the accident/injury; the condition of the casualty; your exact location (including building name, floor, room number etc.)
- Phone University Security on 0118 378 6300 to alert them to the fact that an ambulance has been called. Ask them to direct the ambulance to your location.
- Be prepared to send other helpers to direct Security and ambulance personnel to your location.
- Provide reassurance to the casualty until trained help arrives.
For less serious emergencies the names and contact details for local first aiders are listed in all buildings. Outside normal working hours, or if a First Aider is not immediately available, contact Security Services Control on Extn. 6300 (0118 378 6300 on a mobile) and ask for a First Aider.
You are advised to call NHS 111 if:
- You are unsure and would like medical help, but it is not an emergency
- You think you or someone else needs to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service
- You don't know who to call for medical help or you don't have a GP to call
- You require health information or reassurance about what to do next