Doctoral Loans for UK students
Whether you are planning to start your PhD or Professional Doctorate, or have already started, then you may be eligible to apply for a government-backed loan of up to £27,265 (2021/22 amount).
Doctoral loans are available for either full-time or part-time study for a duration of 3 to 8 academic years.
To qualify for a postgraduate doctoral loan, you must be:
- a UK national ordinarily living in England
- holding EU settled status or indefinite leave to remain, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
- under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course
- applying for a doctoral qualification (i.e. a PhD, Professional Doctorate or DPhil)
- not receiving funding from a UK Research Council
Please click on blue button below to view the full eligibility criteria on the UK government website.