Research Film Competition 2019
About the competition
The Graduate School Research Film Competition has been established to showcase the research undertaken by doctoral researchers at the University of Reading. The film should showcase your doctoral research in an engaging way to a non-specialist academic audience. If your film is shortlisted it will be shown at the University of Reading Doctoral Research Conference on 19 June 2019.
The winner chosen by the Judging Panel will receive an award of £100.
Eligibility - who can apply?
All current doctoral researchers, including those undertaking professional doctorates, who have not graduated before 1 June 2019.
- The film must relate to research carried out during your doctoral studies.
- The film must be two / three minutes in duration (or less) that explains your research to a non-specialist audience.
- Each student can submit only one film.
- Each student should submit a film accompanied by an abstract that explains what your film shows and how it relates to your research. The abstract must be accessible to a non-specialist academic audience.
- Short films of all production techniques including animation, documentary, screen capture and live action will be accepted (please do not submit a 'talking head' film).
- The film should be in the aspect ratio 16:9 with a landscape orientation.
- Please send your film as a MP4 or a MOV file via WeTransfer to email@example.com
- Students must have obtained all necessary permissions for the inclusion of any copyright-protected works, including music and/or images within the film.
- Entries may be viewable online after the competition closing date.
A training session for anyone wishing to prepare for the competition will be delivered by Silvia Cordeiro de Macedo, a doctoral researcher from the Department of Film, Theatre & Television, on 5 March 2019, 14.00 - 15.00, G12, Graduate School, Old Whiteknights House. Please request a training place by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org - attendance at this session is not compulsory.
Note for applicants:
If your film is selected then you must be able to attend the conference on 19 June 2019. Entrants will be informed if their film has been selected by 17 May 2019.
Deadline for competition entry:
26 April 2019