Staff Profile:Dr Shovonlal Roy
- Dr Shovonlal Roy
- Job Title:
- Lecturer in Remote Sensing in Ecosystem Sciences
- Examination Officer, Geography and Environmental Science
- Teaching: GV3ESM - Ecosystems Modelling
- Organizer of GES-ESRD research seminar series
- Personal tutor: Part-1, 2, 3 and MSc students
- Supervisor: B.Sc.,MSc projects and PhD students
- Areas of Interest:
- Dynamical systems theory and ecological modelling
- Satellite remote sensing of ocean colour and bio-optical modelling
- Data assimilation and ecosystem modelling based on remote-sensing
- Modelling of the dynamics, bio-diversity, size classes and functional types of marine plankton community
- Trait-based evolutionary food-web models
- Research groups / Centres:
- Environmental Science Research Division
- School of Agriculture, Policy and Development
- Biodiversity, Crops and Agro-ecosystems (SAPD)
PhD student supervision:
Currently supervisor or co-supervisor of the following PhD projects:
- Donal Harkin: "Parameter estimation and inverse problem for reactive transport modes in bioirrigated sediments"; Funded by NERC-SCENARIO DTP (lead supervisor: Dr. N. Santitissadeekorn)
- Prima Anugerahanti: "Marine biogeochemical model with explicit representation of phytoplankton functional types". Funded by Bakrie Center Foundation.
- Robin Boyd: "Individual-based model of North Sea fish using satellite remote sensing". Funded by NERC-SCENARIO DTP with CASE funding from CEFAS.
- Richard Smith: "Amazonia under mid-holocene drought". Funded by NERC-SCENARIO DTP (lead supervisor: Prof. F. Mayle)
- Heather Plumpton: "Amazonia and the 6k Drought". Funded by University of Reading Studentship Competition in Science (lead supervisor: Prof. F. Mayle)
- Ahmed Abdul Wahab Abdul Ruda Al-Arazah: "Monitoring and Management of Drought in Iraq". International funding (lead supervisor: Prof. A. Verhoef).
- "Pools of Carbon in the Ocean", funded by the European Space Agency
- "Knowledge Transfer Partnership grant between The University of Reading & Armajaro Asset Management LLP", funded by NERC and Innovate UK
- "Data Driven Free-School Fishing", demonstration project jointly with the Institute for Environmental Analytics UoR and Sainsbury's.
Potential PhD/Post-doc opportunities:
Shovon is happy to discuss with prospective PhD candidates and potential post-docs on overlapping research interests. Interested post-docs looking for applying research funds/fellowships are strongly encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of their proposed research interests.
Shovon did his MSc in Applied Mathematics and BSc (Hons) in Mathematics, and a PhD in ecological modelling using non-linear dynamics. Prior to joining the University of Reading, he worked on various research projects at different institutes including the International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis, Austria, the University of Manchester, U.K., the Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Canada, the University of Oxford and the Plymouth Marine Laboratory, U.K. His research was funded by fellowships from the Partnership of Observation of Global Oceans, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, and the Royal Society of London. The research projects that he worked on include:
- The ocean-colour climate change initiative.
- Bio-optical modelling using in-situ and remote sensing data for estimating phytoplankton size classes and functional types.
- Ecosystem model to estimate phytoplankton size spectrum from remotely-sensed ocean colour data.
- Space-time model of marine primary production using remote-sensing based ocean colour data.
- Modelling evolutionary food-webs using body size and habitat preference of a species as adaptive traits.
- Mathematical modeling of marine ecosystems based on field data and remote sensing.
- Regional-scale primary production and applications to ecosystem dynamics.
- Mathematical modelling of plankton ecology, population ecology and eco-epidemiology.
He is currently
YNumber of items: 27.
- Kostadinov, T. S., Cabré, A., Vedantham, H., Marinov, I., Bracher, A., Brewin, R. J. W. , Bricaud, A., Hirata, T., Hirawake, T., Hardman-Mountford, N. J., Mouw, C., Roy, S. and Uitz, J. (2017) Inter-comparison of phytoplankton functional type phenology metrics derived from ocean color algorithms and earth system models. Remote Sensing of Environment, 190. pp. 162-177. ISSN 0034-4257
- Roy, S., Sathyendranath, S. and Platt, T. (2017) Size-partitioned phytoplankton carbon and carbon-to-chlorophyll ratio from ocean colour by an absorption-based bio-optical algorithm. Remote Sensing of Environment. ISSN 0034-4257 doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2017.02.015 (In Press)
- Mouw, C. B. , Hardman-Mountford, N. J., Alvain, S., Bracher, A., Brewin, R. W., Bricaud, A., Ciotti, A. M., Devred, E., Fujiwara, A., Hirata, T., Hirawake, T., Kostadinov, T. S., Roy, S. and Uitz, J. (2017) A consumer’s guide to satellite remote sensing of multiple phytoplankton groups in the global ocean. Frontiers in Marine Science, 4. 41. ISSN 2296-7745 doi: 10.3389/fmars.2017.00041
- Iriarte, J., Smith, R. J., de Souza, J. G., Mayle, F. E., Whitney, B. S., Cardenas, M. L., Singarayer, J., Carson, J. F., Roy, S. and Valdes, P. (2016) Out of Amazonia: late-Holocene climate change and the Tupi–Guarani trans-continental expansion. The Holocene. ISSN 0959-6836 doi: 10.1177/0959683616678461
- Čtvrtlíková, M., Hejzlar, J., Vrba, J., Kopáček, J., Nedoma, J., Hekera, P., Wade, A. and Roy, S. (2016) Lake water acidification and temperature have a lagged effect on the population dynamics of Isoëtes echinospora via offspring recruitment. Ecological Indicators, 70. pp. 420-430. ISSN 1470-160X doi: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.06.042
- Hoang, T. C., Cole, A. J., Fotedar, R. K. , O’Leary, M. J., Lomas, M. W. and Roy, S. (2016) Seasonal changes in water quality and Sargassum biomass in southwest Australia. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 551. pp. 63-79. ISSN 0171-8630 doi: 10.3354/meps11735
- Lo, Y.-H., Blanco, J. A. and Roy, S. (2015) Biodiversity in ecosystems: linking structure and function. INTECH, pp658. ISBN 9789535120285
- Roy, S. (2015) Importance of allelopathy as peudo-mixotrophy for the dynamics and diversity of phytoplankton. In: Biodiversity in Ecosystems - Linking Structure and Function. INTECH, pp. 17-28. ISBN 9789535120285 doi: 10.5772/59055
- Chaudhuri, S., Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2013) Phytoplankton–zooplankton dynamics in the ‘presence’ or ‘absence’ of toxic phytoplankton. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 225. 102 - 116. ISSN 0096-3003 doi: 10.1016/j.amc.2013.08.082
- Roy, S., Sathyendranath, S., Bourman, H. and Platt, T. (2013) The global distribution of phytoplankton size spectrum and size classes from their light-absorption spectra derived from satellite data. Remote Sensing of Environment, 139. pp. 185-197. ISSN 0034-4257 doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2013.08.004
- Roy, S., Broomhead, D. S., Platt, T., Sathyendranath, S. and Ciavatta, S. (2012) Sequential variations of phytoplankton growth and mortality in an NPZ model: a remote-sensing-based assessment. Journal of Marine Systems, 92. pp. 16-29. ISSN 0924-7963
- Roy, S., Platt, T. and Sathyendranath, S. (2011) Modelling the time-evolution of phytoplankton size spectra from satellite remote sensing. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 68 (4). pp. 719-728. ISSN 1095-9289 doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsq176
- Roy, S., Sathyendranath, S. and Platt , T. (2011) Retrieval of phytoplankton size from bio-optical measurements: theory and applications. Journal of Royal Society Interface, 8 (58). pp. 650-660. ISSN 1742-5662 doi: 10.1098/rsif.2010.0503
- Roy, S. (2009) Do phytoplankton communities evolve through a self-regulatory abundance-diversity relationship? Biosystems, 95 (2). pp. 160-165. ISSN 0303-2647 doi: 10.1016/j.biosystems.2008.10.001
- Das, K., Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2009) Effect of disease-selective predation on prey infected by contact and external sources. Biosystems, 95 (3). pp. 188-199. ISSN 0303-2647 doi: 10.1016/j.biosystems.2008.10.003
- Roy, S. (2009) The coevolution of two phytoplankton species on a single resource: allelopathy as a pseudo-mixotrophy. Theoretical Population Biology, 75 (1). pp. 68-75. ISSN 0040-5809 doi: 10.1016/j.tpb.2008.11.003
- Platt, T., White III, G. N., Zhai, L., Sathyendranath, S. and Roy, S. (2009) The phenology of phytoplankton blooms: ecosystems indicators from remote sensing. Ecological Modelling, 220 (21). pp. 3057-3069. ISSN 0304-3800 doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2008.11.022
- Chowdhury, T., Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2008) Modeling migratory grazing of zooplankton on toxic and non-toxic phytoplankton. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 197 (2). pp. 659-671. ISSN 0096-3003 doi: 10.1016/j.amc.2007.08.004
- Chakraborty, S., Roy, S. and Chattopadhyaya, R. (2008) Nutrient-limited toxin production and the dynamics of two phytoplankton in culture media: a mathematical model. Ecological Modelling, 213 (2). pp. 191-201. ISSN 0304-3800 doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.12.008
- Roy, S. (2008) Spatial interaction among nontoxic phytoplankton, toxic phytoplankton and zooplankton: emergence in space and time. Journal of Biological Physics, 34 (5). pp. 459-474. ISSN 0092-0606 doi: 10.1007/s10867-008-9100-5
- Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2007) Enrichment and stability: a phenomenological coupling of energy value and carrying capacity. Biosystems, 90 (2). pp. 371-378. ISSN 0303-2647 doi: 10.1016/j.biosystems.2006.10.001
- Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2007) Enrichment and ecosystem stability: effect of toxic food. Biosystems, 90 (1). pp. 151-160. ISSN 0303-2647 doi: 10.1016/j.biosystems.2006.07.009
- Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2007) Towards a resolution of ‘the paradox of the plankton’: a brief overview of the proposed mechanisms. Ecological Complexity, 4 (1-2). pp. 26-33. ISSN 1476-945X doi: 10.1016/j.ecocom.2007.02.016
- Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2007) Toxin-allelopathy among phytoplankton species prevents competitive exclusion. Journal of Biological Systems, 15 (1). pp. 73-93. ISSN 1793-6470 doi: 10.1142/S021833900700209X
- Roy, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2007) The stability of ecosystems: a brief overview of the paradox of enrichment. Journal of Biosciences, 32 (2). pp. 421-428. ISSN 0250-5991 doi: 10.1007/s12038-007-0040-1
- Roy, S., Bhattacharya, S., Das, P. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2007) Interaction among non-toxic phytoplankton, toxic phytoplankton and zooplankton: inferences from field observations. Journal of Biological Physics, 33 (1). pp. 1-17. ISSN 1573-0689 doi: 10.1007/s10867-007-9038-z
- Roy, S., Alam, S. and Chattopadhyay, J. (2006) Competing effects of toxin-producing phytoplankton on overall plankton populations in the Bay of Bengal. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 68 (8). pp. 2303-2320. ISSN 1522-9602 doi: 10.1007/s11538-006-9109-5
Earlier Publications:Complete list of peer-reviewed publication of Shovonlal Roy can be found here.