Julia Rodriguez Garcia
- Programme Director of BSc Food Science
- Programme Director of BSc Food Technology with Bioprocessing
- Module convenor: FB2EFP and FB2EFA, Food Processing (BSc)
- Module convenor: FBMPR, Food Product Reformulation (MSc).
Building locationHarry Nusten
Areas of interest
My research interests are in the area of food structure. I have a particular interest in furthering our understanding of the functionality of the ingredients in the food matrix, and their impact on the physical, micro and macrostructural properties of the products. My main research focus is in bakery science and it goes from the characterisation of new ingredients/components that have been manufactured; the development of food structures to deliver nutritional benefits, but also improve the consumer experience; and the evaluation of the effect of processing conditions in the matrix development and functionality of the final product.
Moreover, I'm working in the research area of food oral processing with particular attention to the rheology aspects of oral operations. In this area I would like to further our understanding on how human's oral operations (first bite, chewing, swallowing, etc.) define the processing and transformation of food in mouth and how that influence the appreciation of texture and flavour during product consumption.
My research applies physical and microscopic techniques to study food structure, ingredient distribution and interactions, including:
- light microscopy (LM)
- confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM)
- hot stage-LM
- electron microscopy ( SEM, Cryo-SEM)
- rheology: bulk rheology and interfacial rheology
- texture analysis
- oral processing analysis
- surface and interfacial tension.
Univerity of Reading
- Introduction to Food Processing and Engineering (FB1EP2)
- Food Processing (FB2EFP, FB2EFA, FBMFP).
The AgriFood Training Partnership
- Applications of Food Texture and Rheology
- The Science of Baking
- The Science of Wheat and Milling.
- Bernat, N., Chafer, M., Rodríguez-García, J., Chiralt, A., González-Martínez, C. (2014). Effect of high pressure homogenisation and heat treatment on physical properties and stability of almond and hazelnut milks. LWT-Food Science and Technology, in press.
- Moret-Tatay, A., Rodríguez-García, J., Martí-Bonmatí, E., Hernando, I., Hernández, M. J. (2013) Rheological behaviour and structure of food thickeners used for dysphagia treatment when dissolved in water and milk. Perspectives in Fundamental and Applied Rheology. Part II, Chapter 20, pp 211-216. ISBN: 978-84-616-6551-8 (see: http://e-rheo-iba.org/).
- Kampa, J. , Frazier, R. , Rodriguez-Garcia, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-4986-3144 (2022) Physical and chemical characterisation of conventional and nano/emulsions: influence of vegetable oils from different origin. Foods , 11 (5). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods11050681
- Lau, T. , Clayton, T. , Harbourne, N. , Rodriguez Garcia, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-4986-3144 , Oruna-Concha, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7916-1592 (2022) Sweet corn cob as a functional ingredient in bakery products. Food Chemistry: X , 13 ISSN: 2590-1575 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fochx.2021.100180
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Faka, M. , Rodriguez-Garcia, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-4986-3144 , Methven, L. ORCID: 0000-0001-6940-7579 (2021) Investigating methods to mitigate whey protein derived mouthdrying. Foods , 10 (9). pp 0. ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10092066
- Bolger, A. , Rastall, R. , Oruna-Concha, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7916-1592 , Rodriguez-Garcia, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-4986-3144 (2021) Effect of D-allulose, in comparison to sucrose and D-fructose, on the physical properties of cupcakes. LWT-Food Science and Technology , 150 ISSN: 0023-6438 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2021.111989
- Tsatsaragkou, K. , Methven, L. , Chatzifragkou, A. ORCID: 0000-0002-9255-7871 , Rodriguez-Garcia, J. (2021) The functionality of inulin as a sugar replacer in cakes and biscuits; highlighting the influence of differences in degree of polymerisation on the properties of cake batter and product. Foods , 10 (5). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10050951
- Lu, F. , Rodriguez Garcia, J. , Van Damme, I. , Westwood, N. , Shaw, L. , Robinson, J. , Warren, G. , Chatzifragkou, A. , McQueen Mason, S. , Gomez, L. , Faas, L. , Balcombe, K. , Srinivasan, C. , Picchioni, F. , Hadley, P. , Charalampopoulos, D. (2018) Valorisation strategies for cocoa pod husk and its fractions. Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry , 14 pp. 80-88. ISSN: 2452-2236 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cogsc.2018.07.007
- Moret-Tatay, A. , Rodriguez Garcia, J. , Martí-Bonmati, E. , Hernando, I. , Hernández-Lucas, M. (2016) Effect of gums in microstructure and rheological behaviour of thickened food matrices. In: Williams, P. and Phillips, G. , (eds.) Gums and Stabilisers for the Food Industry 18: Hydrocolloid Functionality for Affordable and Sustainable Global Food Solutions. Royal Society of Chemistry pp. 291-294. ISSN: 2042-0625 ISBN: 9781782623274 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1039/9781782623830-00291
- Moret-Tatay, A. , Rodriguez Garcia, J. , Marti-Bonmati, E. , Hernando, I. , Hernandez, M. (2015) Commercial thickeners used by patients with dysphagia: rheological and structural behaviour in different food matrices. Food Hydrocolloids , 51 pp. 318-326. ISSN: 0268-005X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2015.05.019
- Bernat, N. , Chafer, M. , Rodríguez García, J. , Chiralt, A. , Gonzalez-Martinez, C. (2015) Effect of high pressure homogenisation and heat treatment on physical properties and stability of almond and hazelnut milks. LWT-Food Science and Technology , 62 (1). pp. 488-496. ISSN: 0023-6438 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.10.045
- Bernat, N. , Chafer, M. , Gonzalez-Martinez, C. , Rodríguez García, J. , Chiralt, A. (2014) Optimisation of oat milk formulation to obtain fermented derivatives by using probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri microorganisms. Food Science and Technology International , 21 (2). pp. 145-157. ISSN: 1532-1738 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1082013213518936
- Rodríguez García, J. , Sahi, S. , Hernando, I. (2014) Optimizing mixing during the sponge cake manufacturing process. Cereal Foods World , 59 (6). pp. 287-292. ISSN: 0146-6283 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1094/CFW-59-6-0287
- Rodríguez García, J. , Sahi, S. , Hernando, I. (2014) Functionality of lipase and emulsifiers in low-fat cakes with inulin. LWT-Food Science and Technology , 58 (1). pp. 173-182. ISSN: 0023-6438 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.02.012
- Rodríguez-García, J. , Salvador, A. , Hernando, I. (2014) Replacing fat and sugar with inulin in cakes: bubble size distribution, physical and sensory properties. Food Bioprocess Technology , 7 (4). pp. 964-974. ISSN: 1935-5149 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11947-013-1066-z
- Rodríguez García, J. , Puig, A. , Salvador, A. , Hernando, I. (2013) Functionality of several cake ingredients: a comprehensive approach. Czech Journal of Food Sciences , 31 (4). pp. 355-360. ISSN: 1212-1800
- Rodríguez García, J. , Laguna, L. , Puig, A. , Salvador, A. , Hernando, I. (2013) Effect of fat replacement by inulin on textural and structural properties of short dough biscuits. Food Bioprocess Technology , 6 (10). pp. 2739-2750. ISSN: 1935-5149 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11947-012-0919-1
- Rodríguez García, J. , Puig, A. , Salvador, A. , Hernando, I. (2012) Optimization of a sponge cake formulation with inulin as fat replacer: structure, physicochemical, and sensory properties. Journal of Food Science , 77 (2). pp. C189-C197. ISSN: 1750-3841 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02546.x