- Department Director of Postgraduate Research
- Co-Investigator on AHRC-funded project The Legacies of Stephen Dwoskin (2018–2021)
- Co-Investigator on AHRC/FAPESP-funded project IntermIdia: Towards an Intermedial history of Brazilian Cinema (2016–19).
Areas of interestMy research interests are in two fields: women's cinema and artists' film and video. My research on women's cinema is concerned with the relationships between feminist theory and the practices and aesthetics of women filmmakers, conceptualised as a "minor cinema" in the Deleuzian sense of the term, as an inflection of dominant forms.
My interests in artists' film and video include the aesthetics of multi-screen installation, the meanings and functions of projected public art and ways of thinking about cinematic time and space, especially when these are transposed into non-theatrical locations. I am an editor of the journal Screen.
Postgraduate supervisionI welcome enquiries from prospective postgraduate students on any topic relating to alternative and artists' film, theories of cinematic time and space, and women's cinema. I am currently supervising doctoral students working on DIY cinemas; constructions of gendered space in film; the work of Stephen Dwoskin; politics and realism in the work of Jafar Panahi and Abbas Kiarostami.
- Film Forms and Cultures (BA Year 2)
- Women's Cinema (BA Year 3)
- Film Aesthetics (MA)
- Practical project supervision (BA and MA).
- Editor of Screen
- Member of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS)
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Centre for Film Aesthetics and Cultures (CFAC).
- Butler, A. (2020) Objects in time: artefacts in artists’ moving image. In: Murphy, J. and Rascaroli, L. (eds.) Theorizing Film Through Contemporary Art: Expanding Cinema. Film Culture in Transition Amsterdam University Press ISBN: 9789462989467
- Butler, A. (2019) Displacements: reading space and time in moving image installations. Close Readings Palgrave Macmillan , London. pp 178. ISBN: 9783030304607
- Butler, A. (2019) Devouring images: Hélio Oiticica’s anthropophagic quasi-cinema. Screen , 60 (1). pp. 128-136. ISSN: 1460-2474 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/screen/hjy060
- Butler, A. (2013) Spiral jetty, thirty seven years later: the cinematic time of James Benning. MIRAJ: Moving Image Review & Art Journal , 2 (2). pp. 174-186. ISSN: 2045-6298 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1386/miraj.2.2.174_1
- Butler, A. (2010) Must this be the place?. In: De Weck, Z. (eds.) Eija-Liisa Ahtila: where is where?. Walther Konig , Koln, Germany. pp. 88-92. ISBN: 9783865607591
- Butler, A. (2010) Éloge de l'amour (2001): moments in time. In: Brown, T. and Walters, J. (eds.) Film moments: criticism, history, theory . British Film Institute and Palgrave , London, UK. pp. 130-134. ISBN: 9781844573363
- Butler, A. (2010) A deictic turn: space and location in contemporary gallery film and video installation. Screen , 51 (4). pp. 305-323. ISSN: 1460-2474 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/screen/hjq031
- Butler, A. (2007) 'Motor-driven metaphysics': movement, time and action in the films of Maya Deren. Screen , 48 (1). pp. 1-23. ISSN: 1460-2474 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/screen/hjm001