Booking a venue and accommodation
Booking a venue
When looking at which venue is most suitable, do take the following into consideration:
- Access (from car parks and building entrances)
- Size of room
- Furniture in room (porters can make some adjustments)
- Audio Visual equipment in room
- Proximity to facilities (e.g. toilets)
- Whether or not you need a separate room or area for catering
- Whether you will need a separate room, area or foyer for a registration area
- Whether you will need to book any additional classrooms for storage for furniture or for a cloakroom. Please note that if you ask Porters to remove furniture from a room, you will need to book another room to store the furniture.
Available rooms at the Whiteknights campus can be viewed on the Central Room Booking website.
These rooms can be booked by contacting Central Room Bookings by emailing email@example.com.
It is vital to confirm a venue before sending out invitations; don't assume that a venue will be available for your chosen event date.
Please note, if you are booking a room for or on behalf of a non-University individual/organisation, it is essential that you contact Venue Reading: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +44 (0) 118 378 5657.
Room booking details
Do have the following information when requesting a room or complete the online form on the Central Room Bookings website.
- Number of attendees
- Date and time that you would like the room (do allow time for set up and pack down)
- Event description
If you book a room out of working hours, you will need to raise a WREN (see below) to ensure that a porter is booked to unlock/lock the room. This will confirm your out of hours booking. Please note that the latest a building can be open until is 2200hrs.
Not all rooms on campus can be booked through Central room Bookings so if you cannot see the room/venue that you would like to use on their website, or you have an idea of a venue off campus, the Events Office will be able to advise you.
If you are thinking of a marquee as a venue, all enquiries must be passed through the Events Office who will advise as to the correct procedure. If you are planning an outdoor event, do have an indoor alternative should the weather be bad.
It is paramount that room capacities are not exceeded, as you will be liable should there be an emergency. Please see the health and safety section for further information.
Do ensure that you allow enough time for set up before your event start time.
The University offers accommodation at The Cedars Hotel.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)118 378 8906
For further information and to make a booking, visit The Cedars website.
For off campus accommodation, contact the Events Office for advice.
For accommodation on campus in the vacation period, please contact Stay @ Reading:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 118 378 8922
For further information, visit the Stay@Reading page