Strategy and Space Management
Strategy and Space Management is responsible for the management of the University's academic space and the production of the Estate Strategy. We work with Schools and Functions to ensure that the University’s space is effective in supporting the activities taking place within it. Our objective is an affordable, flexible, appropriately scaled, fit for purpose estate.
Detailed Overview of Activities: At the strategic level the department is responsible for the production and regular update of the Estate Strategy. We aim to ensure that the strategy captures and responds to the Estates requirements stemming from the University Strategy and the five year planning process. The Estate Strategy Implementation Plan is also maintained within the department. This plan forms the basis of much of the ongoing capital investment in the estate. The department is very active in the early stages of capital projects, providing briefings on the types of activity, numbers of staff and students to be accommodated within, and the appropriate, sustainable scale of proposed developments.
At a more operational level space management activities include:
- Maintenance of room level space data including annual audit of space use across the University.
- Utilisation surveys and reporting.
- Modelling space requirements to ensure that the overall space supply and demand position is understood.
- Working with Schools and Functions to ensure efficient and effective use of space.
- Planning moves and occupancy changes and providing briefs for implementation projects.
- Assessing and making recommendations on space allocation changes originating from Schools and Functions.
- Working with Schools and Functions to understand future changes in demand for space and advising measures necessary to close any gaps.
- Co-ordination and submission of the annual HESA Estates Management Return (EMR) data and comparative analysis of the University’s estates performance against the sector.
Strategy and Space Management is a small department consisting of the Strategy and Space Management Director (0.8 FTE) and the Strategy and Space Office (0.5 FTE). We work closely with other Estates and Facilities departments to implement space changes across the academic estate.